Ditching cable/Sat TV - going OTA

chrissum

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Has anyone else given up Cable/Sat TV? After researching I found out I can get 22-26 channels out of Kansas City by setting up an outdoor antenna to receive ota (over-the-air) HD channels for free. Would like to hear anyones opinion and also, if there are free services other than hulu that can be used on line. thanks!

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
We have lived in this house (out in thecountry) for four years. For the first 1/2 year, we had FTA, which is satelite you don't have to pay for (we're in Canada). After that ended, we have only been using the tv antenna. We get local channels and american channels, from detroit, b/c we are close, probably a total of 40, but you get your usuals of NBC,,cbs, abc, fox, etc. Me personally, I don't want satellite. I get to watch my sitcoms, etc and I am good to go. For movies, we subscribe to netflix. Hulu isn't in Canada yet. Netflix the cdn version doesn't have a great selection, but it is cheaper than renting a movie every weekend, and if you search long enough, you can find a good movie to watch. If you have satellite, you spend so much time channel surfing, figuring out what to watch. I found that my kids would get sucked into watching show after show and not getting their butts outside, where as now, if nothing is on the boobtube, they are outside having fun.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
I haven't had a tv in 10 years :) Don't miss it at all.

I'm fully addicted to the internet though :D

morgj

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I'd get rid of my TV in a heartbeat, but the wife won't let me. Something to do with Mark Harmon...

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
we havent had cable in several years and intentionally decided not to get it when it was part of a bundle

we use the library to get movies/tv shows for free and watch just about anything online on hulu.com

:)

tamlynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We've never paid to watch tv except when we were first married and it was part of our condos association dues.

You'll save so much money! Some stations will air episodes of current tv shows the day after they air on tv, but we don't watch very much regular tv, so I'm not an expert. We mostly do PBS and get movies/tv shows dvds from the library.

THEFAN

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We are going on yr 7 with no cable or sat. 6x12 = 72 x 50 roughly a month = 3600.00 we ahve saved. So I figure Just getting rid of it has paid for our electricity pretty much every yr. We pay 60-65 a month on electricity. We like this better. We read a lot and yes we surf a little bit but I can make money on here. :) We have a TV for movie nights only. :)

Don't miss TV at all. We can put up the antenna and get 10 stations but WHY??? So we can get suched into there world again. Don't think so!! :)

Internet and phone is 35.00 a month. We can deal with this.

So our whole electric, phone and internet is 100.00 a month. Not bad!!

Good luck.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We canceled the Satellite last year when the money got really tight. We tried to get the local over the air channels but my neighbors house up hill from mine blocked them. So after about 6 months of just videos we went back to the satellite. Cheaper plan yada yada yada...

I wish we could have gotten the on air channels. It would have been sufficient.

g

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
We have gone without cable or satellite for over three years now. We did it because money was tight, but other than a few shows we had become accustomed to watching, not much changed. We do watch less television, and rely on the computer to download things we want to watch. We find we don't really miss cable very much at all.

okiegirl1

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
we haven't had cable or sat tv for over two years. We do have netflix tho'. I wouldn't go back for anything. All it did was glue my butt to this recliner even mor than it already is.

if there is nothing on, I find something more productive to do.