Ditching cable/Sat TV - going OTA

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Hulu has been how my family has stayed entertained without cable. We don't use Netflix at all, just Hulu. They watch on their computers.
I don't watch that many movies but the rest of the family does, and they also enjoy watching TV sitcoms and series without commercials and they watch the whole SERIES in a few weeks. I keep telling my hubby he is reliving his childhood because most of the shows he is enjoying are from when he was a teenager.

It isn't hard to use, even I can do it and I'm not good with techy stuffy.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
haven't been to the site just yet but I am not a type of person that would watch "tv" on their computer screen LOL

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
If your tv is newer, there is a cord you get to play the stuff on your computer over your tv screen.

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My house comes with it, however I have lived without it before. We got the new netflix box and I LOVE it!! You can set it up to Hulu or Amazon too. Its $70? intially plus monthly netflix fee, which we have the cheapest at $5.

No need for cable when you have the netflix box!

mom2bbjandag

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
@morgj, I agree with your wife! I would eliminate satellite in a jiffy I could see my "other man" on another channel. We do have an antenna to get local channels, er... I mean THE local channel, as we can only pick up one channel by satellite. We usually suspend service (DirecTV) at least a couple times a year and take a hiatus, we so far we have eventually returned. Besides NCIS we usually just watch NatGeo, Discovery, or Andy Griffith :p

HEChicken

Power Conserver
Reaction score
There is also a box you can buy called a Roku that allows you to watch Netflix, Hulu and even Amazon movies on your TV. DS bought the family one for Christmas last year and it is really neat. You just flip on the TV, pick up the Roku remote, select something to watch and away you go, the same as selecting something to watch on cable or satellite. You do have to have a subscription to Netflix or Hulu Plus to be able to watch their shows, but if you already have the subscription and prefer watching on your TV versus a computer screen, its the way to go.

Regarding comparisons between Netflix and Hulu. Netflix allows you to either get a DVD in the mail or watch instantly via the internet. The nice thing is they have TV shows from way back but also get the current stuff. The downside is they don't get current shows until at least a few weeks after the season has ended, so you have to wait a little while to see a "current" show, but once its available you can watch it the whole season's episodes back-to-back. Hulu on the other hand allows you to watch current shows as soon as the day after they air. (We don't have the subscription to Hulu Plus but even the free version allows this). So Hulu is a little more like watching regular TV in that you can log in to watch your favorite show weekly, rather than getting the whole season at one time. Netflix is completely commercial free so you can watch a 1-hour episode in about 42 minutes. Hulu does have commercials but usually only one or two - not a 5-minute commercial break like you get with watching regular TV. Also, Hulu allows you to customize your ad-watching experience, by rating the relevance of the commercials it shows you, and even at times allowing you to choose the commercial you'd rather watch.

stano40

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Haven't had cable or sat. in over 10 years and don't miss their expense.

With over 600 movies we have there is usually something to watch. Where my wife works and at every Walmart around here is redbox where you can rent a movie for a dollar a night.

bob

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I do like having cable. I never have a couple hours to watch a movie. We have a bunch of DVD's and no time to watch them. Usually I need a little down time before going to bed and like to watch a little TV.