Ditching cable/Sat TV - going OTA

chickenone

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I went for years without cable or satellite and now I have it and I hope I never have to give it up. It's worth every penny.

HEChicken

Power Conserver
Reaction score
We had cable followed by a 2-year subscription to satellite. I hated it from the second day we had it on (had a huge storm that night and couldn't watch anything). I couldn't wait until the day the two years was up and I could cancel the service. Since then (about a year ago), we've had only Hulu and Netflix. Within weeks of making the switch, every person in my family independently said "this is GREAT". Its not often you can cut both services and monthly expenses and have everyone feeling they have a better deal! So we will never go back. I'm not much of a movie watcher but with Netflix, I can get all my favorite TV shows on disk (or instant streaming) so I can watch them without commercials - I couldn't do THAT with satellite.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I've wondered about Netflix. I like the old shows, from like the 70s and 80s. I've been watching Matlock, Murder She Wrote, Touched by an Angel, Highway to Heaven and a couple others that I can't think of now, and can only do so because my hubby did something w/our cable service, but don't know what. But, I've wondered about just getting rid of it, and going w/something else.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
we talked about an antenna for stations also but we just can't pick up stuff for some reason..like 4 fuzzy channels?? lol

I love my cable, hate the price, but worth every penny paying for it also. TV is a downtime relaxation for us. No one would get my tv out of my house HA HA

hey on that Hulu
never checked into it---does the computer hook up to the tv so you can watch it normal, or do you watch Hulu on your computer screen?
don't have a clue lol

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
with netflix, you can hook the laptop ( or xbox, or wii) to the tv and watch it that way, ( the xbox and wii you connect to the internet) Or you can watch it on your laptop. I assume hulu is the same way.

Buster

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
morgj said:
I'd get rid of my TV in a heartbeat, but the wife won't let me. Something to do with Mark Harmon...
I think that would be an excellent argument in favor, actually.

Someone once asked Sean Connery what he thought about working with him in Presidio. He said it wouldn't have been bad except something about acting and paper bags.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Abi's friend Corwin has high speed cable for only the internet. Then he has Hulu ($9/month?) and Netflix (around $10?). He did have to get some kind of antenna for OTA channels, but he only uses it for football. I think he estimated he was saving over $100/month.

When someone who used to work for the billing dept of a cable company ditches cable tv....you take notice! LOL

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
We don't have the fastest cable, and netflix barely works.(it has to stop to buffer a few times during the movie.) But our phone with satellite is $68/mo. Netflix is $7.99. Before we got netflix, we rented a movie every weekend, sometimes two, at $4 a pop. We are considering upgrading our internet, but then the phone bill will be close to $100.Somehow I can;t justify it right before summer, even though we do use the computer an awful lot.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I guess I have to go to the Hulu sight and just see what this product is all about. I see the commerical on tv but never checked it out.