DIY Laundry Detergent Victory!

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I added a couple cups of plain old baking soda to the orignal recipe to help with odors that were seeming to linger... I have super hard water so I am not sure if it makes a difference to folks with softer water.
I also add a glug of white vinegar to the softener that I like to use... That way I only have to use about half of the amount of softener.
I have been using the recipe for over a year now and just love it... Only problem I had is that my last batch froze this winter and separated so that I have to stir it up each time I use it. No biggie...

glenolam

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Where's the embarrassed forehead slap smiliey when you need it

Never would have thought of that....powdered bleach.....Huh

ninny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
I just found my post on here from 2009.
Here's what I use:

Washing Powder
2 cups borax
2 cups washing soda (box will say Arm & Hammer in big letters, washing soda in small letters)
1 cup colour safe bleach
1 bar laundry soap.

I make enough so that the whole box of borax is used--I think I use 4 bars of soap total. My whites stay white, but I still use spray and wash for stains. (mainly because 4 years ago, I bought a huge jug of it, and haven't used it all. I usually only have to spot treat my whites and lights. My whites are still white after two years of using this recipe.

My first batch was the liquid, I felt it was alot of work for no real benefit, other than having to store big containers of it, and thus having to make it more often. the powdered version works well for me, and I have a front loader. It has never gunked up my machine. I don't use fabric softener, will use vinegar only when using the dryer, which would only be in the winter, if at all. The trick to having static free clothing coming out of the dryer is to not run it so long. There is a point between damp and over drying, where the clothes will come out static free.

I also make it once a year, and the total cost for a years worth of laundry soap is~$12. Fits my frugal nature

edited to add: I don't know whether the colour safe bleash is necessary, but I use it anyways.
How do you mix it?

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
You just stir it, it'is powder. :)

i use my food procesor to grate the soap bars, first I use the shredding blade, then I use the --IDK what it is called, but the blade tha goes in the bottom, so it get s the soap in really small pieces. After shredding the soap, I add some borax, washing soda and shredded bar soap and whizz it around tro mixi it all up, once it is all combined and mixed up, I dump it in a container and stir. Then store anduse as needed.

sheaviance1

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Dumb question about the powdered detergent, but here goes. Does it work well in cold water? I hardly ever (unless my whites are extremely dirty) use hot water. I've been making the liquid for quite a while now, and save about $60/month on laundry detergent. I'd love to try the powdered.

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
I went to Walmart last night and they had washing soda right next to the borax. :th I didn't see any Fels though.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
sheaviance1 said:
Dumb question about the powdered detergent, but here goes. Does it work well in cold water? I hardly ever (unless my whites are extremely dirty) use hot water. I've been making the liquid for quite a while now, and save about $60/month on laundry detergent. I'd love to try the powdered.
I never use hot water, --always cold, asnd mine works well, it dissolves nicely. :)

ninny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:

i use my food procesor to grate the soap bars, first I use the shredding blade, then I use the --IDK what it is called, but the blade tha goes in the bottom, so it get s the soap in really small pieces. After shredding the soap, I add some borax, washing soda and shredded bar soap and whizz it around tro mixi it all up, once it is all combined and mixed up, I dump it in a container and stir. Then store anduse as needed.
So just dump the whole box in? How much do you use with a load?

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
ninny said:
miss_thenorth said:

So just dump the whole box in? How much do you use with a load?
Well, I measure it out first, and add a bit of each at a time to incorporate it all.