Do you ever . . .

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've been holding off on posting this for a week or so because it will surely tick some people off and may cause some flaming. But I have thick skin and actually enjoy (sometimes) a good debate. So here goes:

"Have you ever had any thoughts that you secretly wish that TS really would HTF? Now I'm not an evil person, I do not usually wish hardships on anyone and I certainly do not think like this often.

Last Saturday evening we went to a 30 yr. anniversary party of one of my old fishing buddies. They have done extremely well in their persuit of wealth and happiness. This was a very big shindig at their $2mil home (one of three). I heard someone say that there were 52 cars parked in the front lawn. He owns a very successful industrial real estate company and several condo buildings around the world. She has her own OBGYN practice in Cincinnati. They have two children, the girl is 28 and the boy is 26.

During the evening I found myself in the middle of the 26 to 32 yr. (I'm guessing) old group. The discussions I heard were frightening! Almost all of them gave me the impression of pampered little "precious snowflakes". It seemed that the girls only cared about the latest iPhone, Facebook, spending money. Lot's of it. The guys had a long discussion going on about BMWs versus Mercedes. Every one of the group had a phone in their right hand at all times and the texting was non-stop. Most conversations were interrupted several times by phone calls or texting calls, or whatever they're called. My impression of some was that they are totally useless, lazy, spoiled brats.

Now I realize that it was a party and that it certainly was not time for any of them to worry about the economy, politics, the employment crisis. But I got a very strong feeling that not many of them EVER concern themselves with reality. The personalities, the manerisms, the king and queen clothing, and the attitudes were absolutely disgusting. I did, however, hear one of the younger gals telling a group how much she loved Obama and that she is SO worried and stressed out that someone like nasty old Michelle Bachman could possibly ruin a good thing. So I guess there was at least one semi-serioius conversation going on.

Maybe a little punch in the belly with a dose of hardship would do them some good."

Just my observation. YMMV

Do you ever secretly wish that our country would go through a SHTF scenario to shake us up and get us back on track?

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Do you ever secretly wish that our country would go through a SHTF scenario to shake us up and get us back on track?

Nah, can't say that I do. I just wish something/one would knock some sense into elitist, condescending snobs. (I'm sorry, but from your description, that's how they sound to me.)

Avalon1984

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Not sure what TS and HTF mean but we are in the same boat. My husbands family has an ancient family cottage on a lake nearby and we have neighbors that purchased the land next to us cash (800k) and put a 2mil house on it. Thanks for raising our taxes by the way. They are real nice people but on another level than us. I think it is partly a money problem but it is also an attitude problem. I know some rich people that want to learn about living off the land and that live in fairly small homes considering their income. I also know people that live paycheck to paycheck but do everything they can to keep up with the Jones next door. I dont know if a major event happening in the US would change that too much. The economy has taken a downturn for a while now and I barely see anybody learning from it by trying to be more frugal and self sufficient- unless they are on the merge of losing their house. I just ignore people that want to be (and act) like rich folks. I have found they usually lead very stressful and lonely lives and are incapable to enjoy the small things in life. Their life is based on material values and that sounds pretty sad to me. Ill take my farm full of poopy and noisy animals any day over a Mercedes or BMW. Its just going to get dirty on the dirt road anyways. :p

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
Yes, I secretly wish it would too! But deep down I am not even sure if I could handle it REALLY hitting the fan! All of the people that Ewwed at me for milking my own goats and eating my own eggs, canning my own food, putting my own meat in the freezer, carrying a gun...and knowing how to use one as well as my kids knowing how.
Sometimes I wish I was the 'cool' kid just because I KNOW HOW TO TAKE CARE OF MYSELF! Instead of being the outcast because I know how to take care of myself and my kids. I just secretly wish I would get a few more "I wish I could do what you are doing." Instead of "Eww!" Does that make sense?

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I remember y2k being referred to as the "reboot button for America". And being a little disappointed that it hadn't happened. OTOH - I was also happy that it didn't happen. So, yeah. I understand the ambivalent feelings.

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
No, I do not secretly wish TS would HTF, because I have a feeling it would be an incredibly huge wake up call for EVERYONE. We can all prep all we want, but if things really got horrible I have a feeling it would be WAY harder than anyone could imagine. There would be total chaos, and I don't want to deal with that or wouldn't wish it on anyone else, even if they seem totally unprepared. There are all types of people out there, and honestly I get irritated at some people who make fun of non-preppers saying they've got their head in the sand, etc. Preppers don't want to be called paranoid or crazy, and non-preppers don't want to be called sheeple or stupid! Just because someone doesn't think about prepping doesn't mean they are stupid, or blindly following others. Some people HONESTLY believe there will be NO apocalypse or S hitting the fan. It doesn't make them stupid, it makes them "them".

You know, this isn't directed at anyone on here, but I once saw a blog by a well-known prepper (who I don't think is a member of this forum) and she called someone a freak. Really? How is it fair to call other people freaks because of the way they dress? How many modern type dressers would call plain dressers freaks? It's not acceptable to call ANYONE a freak if they're different than you. People are just different, and that's ok.

Yeah, sometimes I get irritated when people are snobby and elitist, but it takes all kinds. People have different values I guess. I wouldn't spend money on a mansion, but others think I'm nuts for having sheep in my backyard or milking goats. :idunno That's what makes the world go 'round.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
(It's S*** hits the fan)
No, I don't want it to happen. I love the taste of an orange that isn't grown in my state. I'd miss it, and some other things - and I'm more frugal and SS than anyone around my neck of the woods or in my family.

What I'd like to do is go off grid, show myself and others that you don't have to live in the stone age to be SS energy wise, too.

Best compliment I ever got was from our grandson - he told everyone that you NEVER eat before going to Grandma's house. You want to be hungry when you get there. 2nd best compliment was after a big family dinner. I said that maybe next time I'd try to plan something healthier - everyone (including the ultra healthy food nuts!) yelled NO. This is the one meal that they could all pig out on stuff that they normally wouldn't or couldn't eat at home. I think we had homemade chicken and noodles (I made the noodles, too), fresh apple pie, homemade bread, nothing fancy, but to them it was a real treat.

Almost every time our grandson is here, I tell or show him something that is 'new' to him (like making ACV). I always say that he doesn't have to do it, as long as he knows that he CAN do it. We're lucky, he's still interested in everything we do out here. He's almost 16 now...so that might change tomorrow. :lol:

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I believe TSHTF will be an economic collapse. Do I want it to happen? Yes and no.

I really think it's going to happen, so sometimes, yes, I wish it would just happen already so we could regroup and get on with our new lives.

But no, I don't want anyone, including people better off than me, to suffer and struggle.

I also don't think your sound elitist, condescending or snobbish... it is what it is.

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
I confess there are moments when I wish people had to :
- get used to using less petroleum products
- only buy what they actually can afford, or barter goods or services for
- I would be kinda happy if certain junk foods were no longer available.
- I wish I could look up at night and be able to see the meteor showers or the stars, without so much lighting in the way. My brain understands about security lighting near doors and stuff like that, but some of it is ridiculous. Its hard to get a good nights sleep, when it never really gets dark.
- actually know where their food comes from.
- have a real conversation instead of all the texting. I made my friends get used to the idea that they could leave a message on the voice mail if they didn't reach me right away. :lol:

But just these changes would be enough to have a huge and very uncomfortable impact on most of the population.

fixed typo

colowyo0809

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm a rather perverse creature :) alot of times I do think it'd be nice if it would finally come and happen, just so we can start rebuilding and maybe do it right. I'm also self aware enough to know that if the shot hit the fan we'd be just as hurting as those snobs would. Granted, I actually enjoy getting my hands dirty, and I enjoy raising my own food, but we didn't have the best luck (or any really) with the garden this year, and things like butchering, making cheese, saving seeds, etc are mainly just abstract concepts and things I learned about in books. we do not have ourselves prepared in any way for this, and we would be hurting just as badly. And, it would also suck because we both wear glasses (or in my case contacts) and how is that going to work if the SHTF? no more contacts i'm sure. and glasses will probably go back to being those huge clunky things, which would suck for both me and my SO. So, yes, I am aware that we are terribly unprepared, as are most people, but It'd definitly be an adventure and something to test everyones mettle :)

Latest posts