A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
AnnaRaven said:
"The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for
authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place
of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their
households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They
contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties
at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.

ATTRIBUTION: Attributed to SOCRATES by Plato, according to William L.
Patty and Louise S. Johnson, Personality and Adjustment, p. 277
(1953)."
SO TRUE!! I can't even say how many times I have read historical books or quotes that would make you swear they were just written. Nothing we are seeing now is any different than anything that has been seen in the past. It just comes in different packaging.

Yes, I've watched teens apparently on dates in a restaurant text to other people the entire time (or maybe to each other instead of talking!) It makes me roll my eyes, it makes me point it out humorously to my younger kids, but it's not the end of the world. I will raise my kids to be accountable, responsible and hardworking. Can't do anything about everyone else's kids.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
FarmerJamie said:
abifae said:
The excuse "well we aren't as bad as they are" is just that: an excuse.
Abi, did you overhear me "talking" the kids this morning!!! :p

"relativism" bleech. Give me high standards to strive for!!!
Yes. LOL!! I have people tell me I'll never "be happy" with such high standards. Um. I AM happy. I one of the most joyous cheerful people I know. *confused*

Maybe it's because some of the people I adore are wealthy, but I don't dismiss wealthy people just because of their wealth. The ones I know busted butt getting there.
Hell yeh. My dad worked 2 jobs while going to school and then worked one job at 60-80 hours a week and now that he has money and a nice house, he is out of town on business trips about a quarter of the time!

Not worth it, to me.

My step dad, same basic story. Same job his whole life, but 60 hour weeks!

I have nothing against those with money, but it's not a life style I'm willing to have for myself. I like my days off. I like that when I am done with work, I don't have to think about it again til I go back!

We're all just folk. People are people, and they're just primates with more verbal capacity and a bigger quirk for turning everything into tools and toys. *laughs*

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
abifae said:
Just because they are more crappy than we are doesn't make our crap good.

The excuse "well we aren't as bad as they are" is just that: an excuse.
:thumbsup