Do you ever . . .

Toulle

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
This is a question that requires a slow, well thought out answer. I don't have that right now, so I will be brief.

Do I wish for a change in the world? H yes. I would look upon it kindly if mankind were to stop living like a plague of locusts.
Do I wish for some grand epic disaster, 2012 style or of biblical proportions? H no. It would be very inconvenient and greatly impede my comfort.

But as a side note: Do I believe some Mayan or Christian prophesy will come true soon, bringing great upheaval and major S upon our F? I serously doubt it. Slow change, such as a weak dollar and past Peak Oil, oh yeah.

But please ask yourself some questions, not to argue with me or anyone else here, but for your own sake: What did offend you at the party? That they had money, or they were shallow and materialistic? That they talked about Obama / Bachmann in some sort of way, or that they had views that differred from your own?
(I have my own views about the options, or lack thereof, for (y)our future president, but I chose this forum so I could talk about SS without any political schtuff)

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Do I wish TSHTF? no. Do I think it will happen anyway? My Magic 8 Ball says "signs point to yes".

I do not see this as a rich vs poor thing in the original post. I see this as an aware and awake vs sheltered and/or voluntarily cluless thing. I know plenty of low income people who have raised their kids to be spoiled, entitled selfish brats. I also have wealthy friends, that seeing the way things are going, have done super smart things like pay off their house, get rid of debt, etc...

In one specific instance, a very well todo friend who recently paid off her house, works 2 jobs, paid off her car, etc... broke off her engagement to a really nice but somewhat financially stupid guy. Despite their compatibility on most things, he was always broke despite having an even higher paying job than my friend. He was constantly bailing out his adult kids and even bought him a new car despite him driving an old pickup. The reason son needed a car was because he crashed his. While drunk.

So we have 2 people in this example with high incomes. One who is responsible and thinks ahead, one who isn't and raised two very irresponsible, obnoxious kids who thinks that the world owes them something and they are entitled to screw up as much as they want because someone will always be there to bail them out.

Anyone watch the Real Housewives of New Jersey? There is a 20something on there that is a great example of this. She has been sponging off of her mom and stepdad for years. She is also disrespectful. She is flipping out because she is getting cut off. She honesty can't understand why mom and stepdad won't pay her to treat them like garbage.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I saw the original post as this simple

watching some younger people at a PARTY and the parents or they have some money in the bank.

doesn't know them at all

gee a party atmosphere should not make one THINK they know anything about these people.

they could be the cream of the crop when outside of the party atmosphere.....geez, lets wipe out the younger generation cause they were at a party and texting and enjoying themselves and we don't even know them.

that is what I read truly

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Icu4dzs said:
What we refer to as TSHTF here is the "Tribulation" as explained in The Revelation according to St. John. People have been fearing that for thousands of years. It has happened several times already. WW I and WW II are good examples. The difference is that those two generations since OUR parents were here have NOT had to endure such things and all of us live in fear that it will happen again. Well, based on the truths (not just facts) of history, those things not only can happen again, but look like they very well may during OUR lifetime. My fear is not being young enough to do the work of supporting myself after all the time I have spent getting myself ready to do it. Whiile I am in no way infirm, and am able to do a hard day's work, doing that much hard work when I am 85 may not seem all that much fun. YMMV.

<snip>

So in summary, THINK carefully before you glibly say "I secretly wish TSHTF" because you REALLY DON"T KNOW what that means and if you think you do, you are probably badly mistaken. I haven't been kidding you when I write these things here and I hope you are able to understand the urgency with which I write these words because there may not be much time to stop TSHTF from happening even if it can be stopped. That is why I tell you to "keep your butt down, your head on a swivel and your powder dry" because that really does summarize what you need to know.

Yes, I know you think I was hard on you with this one, but somehow, I hope it opens your eyes to what we are REALLY talking about here when we say TSHTF because it isn't a PARTY, folks. It will really SUCK!

PRIORITY:URGENT/FLASH
http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/uploads/1808_images.jpeg
Trim sends
//BT// (for now)
Well written. Thanks for the reality-check.

Personally, I distinguish between TSHTF and TEOTWAWKI. TSHTF, to me, is more like, the aftermath of Katrina, or Loma Prieta, or some shortterm but catastrophic event. May require evac, or sheltering in place, for some limited period of time (a couple weeks to a couple months) before things go back to "normal". Not easy, not fun, but potentially survivable if you've prepared AND are realistic about the bad-asses out there AND have a community to back you up, and you happen to be lucky enough to not be seriously injured/disabled.

TEOTWAWKI (the end of the world as we know it) is the zombie apocalypse, or the tribulations, or world-wide nuclear war, or world-wide economic collapse, etc...

Wifezilla

Reaction score
Not what I read at all. I guess we can ask the op for some clarification.

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Boogity said:
I've been holding off on posting this for a week or so because it will surely tick some people off and may cause some flaming. But I have thick skin and actually enjoy (sometimes) a good debate. So here goes:

"Have you ever had any thoughts that you secretly wish that TS really would HTF? Now I'm not an evil person, I do not usually wish hardships on anyone and I certainly do not think like this often.

Last Saturday evening we went to a 30 yr. anniversary party of one of my old fishing buddies. They have done extremely well in their persuit of wealth and happiness. This was a very big shindig at their $2mil home (one of three). I heard someone say that there were 52 cars parked in the front lawn. He owns a very successful industrial real estate company and several condo buildings around the world. She has her own OBGYN practice in Cincinnati. They have two children, the girl is 28 and the boy is 26.

During the evening I found myself in the middle of the 26 to 32 yr. (I'm guessing) old group. The discussions I heard were frightening! Almost all of them gave me the impression of pampered little "precious snowflakes". It seemed that the girls only cared about the latest iPhone, Facebook, spending money. Lot's of it. The guys had a long discussion going on about BMWs versus Mercedes. Every one of the group had a phone in their right hand at all times and the texting was non-stop. Most conversations were interrupted several times by phone calls or texting calls, or whatever they're called. My impression of some was that they are totally useless, lazy, spoiled brats.

Now I realize that it was a party and that it certainly was not time for any of them to worry about the economy, politics, the employment crisis. But I got a very strong feeling that not many of them EVER concern themselves with reality. The personalities, the manerisms, the king and queen clothing, and the attitudes were absolutely disgusting. I did, however, hear one of the younger gals telling a group how much she loved Obama and that she is SO worried and stressed out that someone like nasty old Michelle Bachman could possibly ruin a good thing. So I guess there was at least one semi-serioius conversation going on.

Maybe a little punch in the belly with a dose of hardship would do them some good."

Just my observation. YMMV

Do you ever secretly wish that our country would go through a SHTF scenario to shake us up and get us back on track?
"The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for
authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place
of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their
households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They
contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties
at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.

ATTRIBUTION: Attributed to SOCRATES by Plato, according to William L.
Patty and Louise S. Johnson, Personality and Adjustment, p. 277
(1953)."

Wifezilla

Reaction score
When did Socrates live? When did the Greek army fall to Thebes? :D

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
"The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for
authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place
of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their
households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They
contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties
at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.

ATTRIBUTION: Attributed to SOCRATES by Plato, according to William L.
Patty and Louise S. Johnson, Personality and Adjustment, p. 277
(1953)."

------------
See I read stuff like this junk and think, for the few bad apples, there are tons of great kids and younger adults NEVER written about.

this kind of stuff written sure doesn't apply to alot of the young adults in my location. guess we raise them correctly here! :)

S

sunsaver

Spoiled brats deserve to get a SHTF, but i dont wish for it, just expect it to happen again. TSHTF in Vermont and New Jersey. Its no Katrina, but it's bad enough. I wonder how many days of food those brats have on hand. They probably don't even know how to cook!:)

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
sunsaver said:
Spoiled brats deserve to get a SHTF, but i dont wish for it, just expect it to happen again. TSHTF in Vermont and New Jersey. Its no Katrina, but it's bad enough. I wonder how many days of food those brats have on hand. They probably don't even know how to cook!:)
It's no Katrina? Says who? It is for those who are trapped in their communities who are getting goods dropped by helicopter to survive until help can get in there to rescue them. Some spots are just as bad, if not worse, than Katrina. It's just more spread out, and there aren't a bunch of thugs shooting and looting down the streets. It's pretty bad though. The flooding is worse. The damage totals will likely be much worse. 13 states...not 4. Yeah...it's Katrina for the East coast ;)