Do you ever . . .

Avalon1984

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Boogity said:
I think this has been a very good discussion. Of course some folks react differently than others - and it's OK. That's how we're built. Some replied more tactfully, some more vocal, and some went off on a totally different tangent. Topic drift is always happening in good discussions because the topic conjures up other thoughts and emotions and we express them. In total, I personally think everyone has been great.

A few of you have brought up wonderful ideas and opinions that I hadn't even thought about. It's amazing to me how much we learn about each other in these discussions. I love you guys.

To summarize my original post: (sorta)
I witnessed a group of humans (not male, not female, not young, not old, not rich, not poor), at a function that usually is intended to allow or promote fellowship and exchange of ideas and pleasantries, acting extremely (in my opinion) spoiled, boorish, rude, aloof, and sophomoric. Each person in the group was so "into" themselves that there was practically no real communication at all (oh! here's another parenthetic phrase - you're probably getting tired of these. Nobody was listening to anyone. But there was tons of non-verbal communication going on!!!). I got the impression that, even at the age of 28 or older, mommy had to tie their shoes.

As I drove home I realized that my mind was actually stressed by the immature actions of the young group. The fleeting thought sneaked up on me that maybe, just maybe, a dose of real hardship for a few years could possibly make these precious snowflakes a little better SS members of society. Anyone who has ever been through Marine combat training knows the value of hard knocks.

That's all there was to it. Just an old guy's fleeting thought. I'm glad that the topic has stimulated so many emotions and thoughts. It's probably good for us. :p
I think your situation plays in what a lot of these reality TV shows (not that I ever watch them much) are aiming at when they have spoiled brat teenagers go to ranches to get straightened out. Definitely a point there and it seems that a lot of people enjoy watching those kids get a good whopping. I know a lot of people young or old alike that could use a good reality check but then again it is always a good contrast to have them around and it shows me who I dont want to be.

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I remember right after 9/11, how EVERYONE was so nice, polite, courteous and conversations had more substance & meaning (not all were about terrorists & such), but within about a month (or less) people were falling back into their old ways of being rude, mindless, me me me attitudes. Over the years since, I've noticed it's only gotten worse than ever before. So yes on that score I agree this country needs a big wake up call. Although OTOH, I'm very apprehensive of when TS will HTF for everyone cause I'm not so sure anyone is truly prepared for whats coming. :hugs

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Our country is tops

think of how many other countries treat their citizens and each other :/

truly

America is a cake walk of manners considering what life is like 'on the outside'

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yes I live in a bubble. I've never been 'outside', so I wouldn't really know. I was referring to Americans of which I am familiar. I agree this is a great country with great people......that need a :smack wake up call. :D

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
LOL I know
but when I keep hearing about the small USA manner problems, I like to expand a bit and think about horrible problems out there in the world where manners or human life value aren't worth a hill of beans literally. (you know what I mean lol)

I will take the few rude and whatever US people haha

Avalon1984

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The United States is a great country full of wonderful and friendly people as far as I can say. I understand how people get upset about restriction of rights over here but trust me, when it comes to regulations and such, many other countries are much worse, downright rediculous. I do not regret coming over here and hopefully I can contribute in a great way.

Leta

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
This has got me thinking.

I do think my children are precious snowflakes.

But I don't think that acknowledging your individuality necessarily leads to utter self absorption.

That's all I have for now.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
Our country is tops

truly

America is a cake walk of manners considering what life is like 'on the outside'
Just because they are more crappy than we are doesn't make our crap good.

The excuse "well we aren't as bad as they are" is just that: an excuse.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
abifae said:
FarmerChick said:
Our country is tops

truly

Just because they are more crappy than we are doesn't make our crap good.

The excuse "well we aren't as bad as they are" is just that: an excuse.
Abi, did you overhear me "talking" the kids this morning!!! :p

"relativism" bleech. Give me high standards to strive for!!!

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
aggieterpkatie said:
No, I do not secretly wish TS would HTF, because I have a feeling it would be an incredibly huge wake up call for EVERYONE. We can all prep all we want, but if things really got horrible I have a feeling it would be WAY harder than anyone could imagine. There would be total chaos, and I don't want to deal with that or wouldn't wish it on anyone else, even if they seem totally unprepared. There are all types of people out there, and honestly I get irritated at some people who make fun of non-preppers saying they've got their head in the sand, etc. Preppers don't want to be called paranoid or crazy, and non-preppers don't want to be called sheeple or stupid! Just because someone doesn't think about prepping doesn't mean they are stupid, or blindly following others. Some people HONESTLY believe there will be NO apocalypse or S hitting the fan. It doesn't make them stupid, it makes them "them".

You know, this isn't directed at anyone on here, but I once saw a blog by a well-known prepper (who I don't think is a member of this forum) and she called someone a freak. Really? How is it fair to call other people freaks because of the way they dress? How many modern type dressers would call plain dressers freaks? It's not acceptable to call ANYONE a freak if they're different than you. People are just different, and that's ok.

Yeah, sometimes I get irritated when people are snobby and elitist, but it takes all kinds. People have different values I guess. I wouldn't spend money on a mansion, but others think I'm nuts for having sheep in my backyard or milking goats. :idunno That's what makes the world go 'round.
I love this post! I guess I get kind of tired of all the "sides" that get formed in many of these discussions. Maybe it's because some of the people I adore are wealthy, but I don't dismiss wealthy people just because of their wealth. The ones I know busted butt getting there. It's not a place I need/want to be, and I'm probably not where they need/want to be.

So, while elitist snobs would definitely get on my nerves, and while I don't really get the true value of many jobs in America (like investment bankers, for example), they all make our economy go round and I don't spend time hoping some people with less "hands-on" skills would get a huge wake-up call.

And while we can all find plenty of vacuous, shallow people in life of all ages, we can also find plenty of considerate, deep-thinking folks of all ages also, thank goodness!