Do you have a minimum below which ...

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
you will not go? Secondary to another post on another thread I'd like to ask what, if any, minimum you might have? I mean, is saving money the only criteria, or do you have places in your life where the cheapest is too cheap? As I mentioned on the other thread, after my DH was diagnosed with 3 separate cancers, all within 6 months, I found that *cheap* was less important to me than *healthy*. Now, I have long bought butter rather than margarine (as one example), so in that regard I have already had a *minimum* below which I don't wish to go. But after he got sick I started becoming more aware of how food affects our health, and I am more likely now to spend more money on better food, but perhaps not buy as much of it; cutting back on quantity of meat, for example, and going more for quality.

How about you?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Yes, there are areas in my life and choices where I don't go cheap. Some things are worth investing in and family, health, and helping others are things into which I regularly invest time and money. These are all things in which you gain the biggest return for your investment.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
We like the rolls of sausage. And, the one brand that we get is something that we both like. 2xs now, I've tried a different, cheaper brand. But, it doesn't taste the same, plus it looks like it has way more fat. I won't buy margarine, and haven't for years. I try to stock up on butter when it's on sale. And, even if I'm not getting eggs from my girls, I won't buy store bought eggs. IMO, they're just not as good, even though they're cheaper.

For me, cheaper doesn't always mean better. It does me no good to buy something cheaper if it's not going to be eaten. That's more a waste of money than spending more on something that's a better quality.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have health concerns (asthma, lactose-intolerance, and chemical sensitivities/allergies) that cause our family to eat as healthy and organic as possible. Hubs has gallbladder issues that mean we can only eat really lean meat, so we stick with bison, elk, venison etc. rather than eating beef. So in the case of food, we have a level below which we can't go for health reasons.

In other areas of our life we don't buy much, and what we do buy is used, so we'll go as cheap as possible for most things :)

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yeah, I think food is one of the big things I spend more money on. Certain things I'll buy cheap stuff, but many things I want the good stuff. I try to purchase better product in a cheaper package to save money. Toothpaste is another, I buy the $4 tube instead of getting stuff for a buck or whatever (don't even remember now) because MOST toothpaste burns the sin outta my mouth. I can't even brush my teeth with much of anything besides my Advanced Care. Eggs are definately the biggest one as far as food though. I can handle eating the other crap if I can't get exactly what I want, but eggs... if I can't get REAL eggs, we don't eat them.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
oh yes I have a minimum which I won't go below on certain products.

food it is about taste and quality. I try generic or store brand on certain things, if I like them, yes I buy again. If they are cruddy I sure won't buy again no matter 'how cheap' and with coupons I can get good brands for usually less cost than the cheap stuff :)

I have a certain standard on chainsaws and other things like fencing.

I cheap out more by not buying (saves alot of money :p), planning vacatoins where the fun is the beach included in my camping, not the $300 a day amusement parks and all that, drive less to save money and more things like that. When I do spend money I sure research the products and will spend what is needed for what I enjoy.

I know many times I bought something cheap, only to have it break, return it and invest in the more expensive but it runs many years without troubles etc.

but if I can do with cheap, oh yea it is for me lol

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
In my childhood, I had a dad who was cheap, and a mom who was spendy spendy. Not a good mix. To dad, everything he spent money on was the cheapest he could find. Food especially. And, we girls, nor mom, never got dental care, etc. Dad had a fit when we 3 daughter ..and mom, all needed fem supplies all at once. And then, when I was 9, both mom and I needed glasses. He chewed us both out royally.

Now that I am pushing 50....and all my adult years previous....I believe in "cheap" on some things. You can cut back on some aspects and areas. Buy at thrift stores, buy used cars, buy store brands of food..etc. But I also prefer to save some of that dollar, and spend it on a quality item here and there. Everything in my life does not have to be "cheap".
I do SS when ever possible, in what ever departments I can. Like, hanging up clothes to dry, versus the dryer. It all boils down to common sense, really. My dad just went by the dollar amount of things.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Saying I've heard more than once-the cheap turns out expensive.

I know I took a chance w/the solar fence charger I bought. It had poor reviews. But, I really couldn't afford a different one-it cost 2x as much and I just didn't have that kind of money. So, I got the extended warranty, which cost me $5.00. I figured as long as I was able to get a year out of it, then I could buy the more expensive one. The only problem I've had w/it, it's been so cloudy this year that I have trouble keeping the battery charged. Plus, /the spot I have it, it's somewhat blocked at this time of year by buildings, and there's no other spot I could put it-unless I put it up a bit higher-which I might do. I think the people that reviewed it just didn't know anything about using one.

elijahboy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
quality always trumps quantity in my opinion unless we are taking about marbles<<<<<<<<<like that karen<<<<inside joke she know what im talking about.

yes somethings i buy cheap because i need that thing quickly and i wont use it but once.

clothes are the issue for me....i will not buy low end clothes.....i would rather go to goodwill and buy a used pair of children's place jeans than go to walmart and buy the jeans there. the tcp jeans will last 3x longer than those walmart jeans. there is only quantity in the clothes at walmart. buy alot for cheap but they wont last a season.

i have an extrememly picky husband so buying cheap food is a no go. plus i can usually score the high end brands cheaper than the "cheap brands".

my entire goal in life....shop the expensive down to cheap......shop out of season and shop with coupons. that is the best way to get the quality products at the cheaper price..

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
;)

my entire goal in life....shop the expensive down to cheap..

THAT SUMMED it up for me also. that is a good saying. I am going to use that :lol: