Do you have a secret recipe?

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I just overheard two ladies in my office talking about some recipes and lady 1 asked lady 2 "is that the one you don't give out?" and Lady 2 said, "No I give mine out!... all except one." (It was white chocolate bread pudding, btw.) And they both mentioned another friend of theirs who has a couple of recipes that she won't tell anyone.

(what is she selling this stuff?)

Anyway, lady 2 said, "I'll make a batch and bring you half of it. That way, we'll both have some but neither of us will have to have the whole thing in our house"(presumably because they are watching their food intake.)

Do you have a secret recipe? If you do, why? I don't get it.

Cassandra

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Nope. I always felt that it was a sign of insecurity and they need to hold on to something to make themselves feel special. jmho

Does anyone remember the old "Dick Van Dyke Show" where Laura gives Millie a recipe but 'forgets' to include mustard as one of the ingredients?

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
hoosier said:
Nope. I always felt that it was a sign of insecurity and they need to hold on to something to make themselves feel special. jmho

Does anyone remember the old "Dick Van Dyke Show" where Laura gives Millie a recipe but 'forgets' to include mustard as one of the ingredients?
That is something I learned well from my mother..insecurity..thanks again mom.

No I do not have a secret recipe....but wait til I make my cinnamon rolls :D

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Nope, Like Hoosier I think that is just silly. Well rude really. I mean I wouldn't so much be offended if I wanted a recipe because I can just Google and find something similar and play with it till I get what I am after....but if someone asked me and I said no, then I would feel like a real jerk.

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have never heard of such a thing. Secret recipes. I always thought that was a joke.

It's funny how in this day and age anyone thinks they can have a lsecret recipe http://www.gumbopages.com/food/dessert/wchoc-breadpud.html

I didn't see that show you mentioned, by the way. But you reminded me of a Little House episode I saw where Laura was helping Nelly make cinnamon chicken for Almonzo. And Laura switched the cinnamon for cayenne pepper so it was too awful to eat. :gig

Cassandra

PotterWatch

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We were camping with a friend and her family and her husband made some really great beef and bean chili. He said his recipe was a secret so I just assumed I wouldn't get it. Later I mention the "secret recipe" to my friend and she laughed saying it was no secret at all, just S&W chili beans, ground beef, and whatever other canned beans happened to be on sale.... some secret!! LOL

coopy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
No I don't have a Secret recipe. Just some secret ingredients.;)
But if asked I will tell. Ha!
My DGS's love to cook with me. We find all sorts of secret ingredients. Like putting nutmeg in our french toast with the cinnamon. They thought that was cool. They love to cook. Guess you can blame me for that too. When they were about 1 year old I would sit them up on the cabinet set a bowl between their legs and let them stir. Then we'd put the cookies or cake whatever in the pans. They still love to cook with granny.:love

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I sure don't have a secret recipe. I am lucky if any meal turns out halfway decent..LOL

I don't mind if people have one in their family. I think they feel it makes their family special having that "food" secret..HA HA

whatever floats your boat.
and there isn't a food out there that if told the recipe was a secret, then I don't eat that recipe..HA HA

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Cassandra said:
I didn't see that show you mentioned, by the way. But you reminded me of a Little House episode I saw where Laura was helping Nelly make cinnamon chicken for Almonzo. And Laura switched the cinnamon for cayenne pepper so it was too awful to eat. :gig

Cassandra
That is one of my favorite episodes!! and it's something I probably would have done had it been me LOLOL

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Speaking of Little House...where do you find those old episodes? I think they woudl be fun for my kids to watch, give them a little insight as to what is on mom's mind :gig
I loved that show as a kid and can't even remember the last time I saw it!

Latest posts