Do you have a secret recipe?

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Dace said:
Speaking of Little House...where do you find those old episodes? I think they woudl be fun for my kids to watch, give them a little insight as to what is on mom's mind :gig
I loved that show as a kid and can't even remember the last time I saw it!
My parents actually started buying them all on DVD. Not sure where they found them, but I borrow episodes from them on occassion.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
For recipes that have been handed down for generations in a family, I can see the secret thing ok as part of the tradition and mystique.

For something like 'white chocolate bread pudding' though, it's just ego, if you ask me. But hey, everyone needs a hobby I guess :p

Pat

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I wonder if you could get Little House at the library... I loved that show as a kid. It was on th hallmark channel and I got my kids to watch with me--ds couldn't stand it, dd liked it, b/c laura had a horse.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
Dace said:
Speaking of Little House...where do you find those old episodes? I think they woudl be fun for my kids to watch, give them a little insight as to what is on mom's mind :gig
I loved that show as a kid and can't even remember the last time I saw it!
My parents actually started buying them all on DVD. Not sure where they found them, but I borrow episodes from them on occassion.
Our public library has the whole set on VHS and half the set on DVD. Check your local library first. They may be able to get them from another library if they don't have them.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
For recipes that have been handed down for generations in a family, I can see the secret thing ok as part of the tradition and mystique.

For something like 'white chocolate bread pudding' though, it's just ego, if you ask me. But hey, everyone needs a hobby I guess :p

Pat
We have a couple family recipes that my grandmother brought with her to the USA from Austria/Hungary in the 1800's. The family tradition is to present them in a cookbook format at a person's 18th birthday or as a wedding present to an incoming bride. Corny but true; and other than that we rarely give the recipes out. I have found similar recipes online - but none of them are exactly like my grandmother's recipes.

I agree with Pat, the bread pudding recipe sounds like ego. I bet it could be from Paula Deen or Barefoot Contessa, and hardly a family secret.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
My aunt has a secret recipe for baked beans that supposedly people rave about. At least she did. She confessed to me at a family reunion a few years back that she used canned B&M beans and added more brown sugar. :p

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Well I guess I'm egotistical then. :lol:

A lot of my recipes are secret, because they are ones that I invent, and since my husband and I always dreamed of opening our own restaurant, I keep them to myself . . . just . . . in . . . case. But I love to share the food with friends and family.

I have noticed that as I get bored with my recipes I have leaked a few out to people who particularly liked them. These are recipes that no longer make the "restaurant cut". :rolleyes:

My latest creation is a chanterelle pizza . . . and no, it does not include marinara sauce. Hubby says it belongs in a 5 star restaurant for some outrageous price. :lol:

But the thing about cooking is that we all have different opinions about what goes well with what, so my recipes really aren't any better than anyone else's . . . they just suit our tastes.

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
DM, in my opinion, an original and potentially money making creation totally deserves 'secret' status.

But these ladies were ... well... not exactly cooks. Minivan driving, PTA president, dance class taxi-ing, fund raiser organizing for the t-ball team, country club pool lounging trophy wives.

Don't get me wrong. I am not passing judgment and don't think there is a thing wrong with any of those things. But frankly I get the impression from them that they think doing something to earn money is beneath them. Of course, I could be wrong.

:lol:

Cassandra

Latest posts