Do you have the right to choose your own food source???

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I just think it's funny that you can go to the grocery store and buy cigarettes, but not real milk. There's a bit in that horrible horrible document that says that putting a warning label on raw milk isn't okay because "the risk of infection... does not arise from the misuse or abuse of the product but rather from its customary food use." :th

BeccaOH

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
hennypenny9 said:
I just think it's funny that you can go to the grocery store and buy cigarettes, but not real milk. There's a bit in that horrible horrible document that says that putting a warning label on raw milk isn't okay because "the risk of infection... does not arise from the misuse or abuse of the product but rather from its customary food use." :th
Agreed. There are tons of things we buy legally in our food from HFCS to MSG to other strange chemicals that in large enough doses over time are going to cost more in health care than the small risk of "real" bacteria from raw milk ever will.

My mom quotes health issues from way back when in the milk industry and was very happy when pasteurization became wide spread. I'm still not sure I'd want raw milk from a large dairy farm due to overcrowding, poor feed quality, and such, but I want the right to get it from a small family farm that grazes their cows on grass without being fined or jailed.

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
BeccaOH said:
I'm still not sure I'd want raw milk from a large dairy farm due to overcrowding, poor feed quality, and such, but I want the right to get it from a small family farm that grazes their cows on grass without being fined or jailed.
Seconded. Although I know that small farms aren't always good. I got pasteurized organic whole milk from a local small farm and was amazed at how icky it was. On the other hand, the raw milk from the co-op is excellent. http://www.jackiesjerseymilk.com/5.html <--don't they look like happy cows?

Latest posts