Do You Like Where Your At...?

KevsFarm

On vacation
Reaction score
The recent flooding, tornado's and heartbreaking results in the midwest/southeast have confirmed my thoughts as where to make my last stand.I really don't like cold/snowy weather, but Maine looks like the place for me in the long run, pretty much disaster free, and clean.I've been to and like Oregon, thought for yrs i'd like to live there.The people i met there were so friendly.I guess west of the mountains is a bit wet, and east of is to dry.I think many people from Calf are moving northward on the west coast.What i don't like the norhwest thee days, is that there is a element of activity going on in the big states parks, by invader nationals.They have been known to kill innocent persons who stumble onto their activities.I find this deeply disturbing, and most remote, peaceful areas that i would chose to live in,are to near these state lands and preserves.Yet another beautiful thing in America wasted and trashed by these animal invaders, its really sickening and disgusting.A few have found there way to Maine, but Maine is a harsh enviorment for there activities.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I guess I could live in Maine if I had a few big hoop houses to extend the growing season. If you put a big hotub in one with a little sand to make your own private beach, that might help too :D

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
KevsFarm said:
Your right Wifezila, i pictured Texas as a dry,tumbleweed ridden, G_d forsaken place.. Never knew there were lush green places in the big state..learn something new all the time..!
This is the same way I felt when we visited the HUGE salt marsh (complete with migrating pelicans and other sea birds) in the middle of KANSAS!!??

Yes, I have spent a good bit of time traveling through Texas. They have prairies, and even SWAMPS in addition to the tumbleweed and cow skulls. Texas is a BIG place. ;)
I live in southeast Texas 75 miles north of Houston. We have lush forest, mild winters, plenty rain (normally-we are in SEVERE drought right now) and Looooooooong growing seasons. Texas is a dry desert out west, but it has a natural beauty all it's own. North Texas is plains and farmland. South Texas is on the Mexico border and is sub tropical, lots of farmland, citrus groves and fruit. Central Texas is rocky limestone, scrub oak ranchland, being taken over by weekenders who want the "view." East Texas is forestlands. The Gulf coast is humid, hot and beautiful. Texas is also home to the best medical center in the world in Houston. Texans have a fierce pride in their state. We are the only state who was our own country before joining the United States. While each state in our country is special in it's own way, the shape of Texas is instantly recognized around the world.

I love my state and the friendly people in it. I wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I love Texas too. :) I was born here, and glad to be back home. And yes, for the most part, I love the attitude 'round here. :)

And people are generally friendly and helpful. We are having an awful drought here too ... somewhere between the forests to the east and ranchlands in the central. Which is great for gardens, pasture, raising animals, and all that. i only wish I had more acreage to work with, but there are cow pastures out behind me, so it's not an impossible dream. If I had the cash, there is land nearby for sale, and I might could swing some that's not. IF I had the cash.

It's not too far from most of my family, not too far from the city, but plenty country enough. All things considered, yes, I love it here.

Local jobs aren't much, but I don't need much. And if I decided I did, I could always rejoin the rat race and go into the city. The economy actually appears pretty good there, and it would be a bit of a commute, but do-able.

There are tornadoes here, terribly hot summers (but hey, that's what A/C is for, and even a breeze goes a long way for cooling) ... but most other natural features of the area aren't bad.

And yes, I think a lot of it goes back to political climate. I'm not sure if I'm talking about the same aspects of the political climate ... what I like is the independent mindset of folks. And there's always the "We don't care HOW you did it (up north, back home, over there, or whatever)." I must admit, I liked being able to go into any building and know I wouldn't have to breathe someone else's cigarette smoke (where I used to live, it was illegal to smoke in most public buildings) but hey ... I can go somewhere else, and it IS their building. People's rights to do what they want are more important to me than them doing it just how I might like them to do. Because I also want MY right to do things how *I* want at MY own place. Fair's fair. :)

Yes, I love it here. :)

Edited to add: I believe Texas is also the only state whose state constitution permits it to withdraw from the Union if we don't agree with what they're-a-doin'. And ... it might come to that, LOL. Imagine, a passport needed to visit Oklahoma, Arkansas, Louisiana, from Texas. ;)

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i like ct as a generality, beautiful springs and falls, managable summers, but the winters are much too long for me...
the govt taxes and general cost of living are the major things that make CT unlivable for me..i just cant afford to stay here...

tn however...i visited for 1 week and i cant get the place out of my mind, not only because of the house i want to buy, but there was just something about many of the places we drove through that felt "right" like "home" :D

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I believe Texas is also the only state whose state constitution permits it to withdraw from the Union if we don't agree with what they're-a-doin'
I think Montana has something like that is their state constitution....but it gets COLD up there!

KevsFarm

On vacation
Reaction score
Your reading my mind Wifezilla, i always figured a nice hot tub would be a must up Maine way...Maybe one of those woodfired ..snorkel... jobbies...G_d knows they have enough wood for one up there.Yeap, hoop houses would work very well, the Nearing's always had fresh veggies in the middle of the winter.You know, that old homesteading couple( Scott & Helen) who lived up in Maine a couple decades ago, they had a book about growing veggies in the cold winters of Maine...

KevsFarm

On vacation
Reaction score
Yet another super tornado so soon after the last one..This one was...only...a half mile wide, but thats still huge..! Winters may be warmer, growing seasons longer, but living down south isn't for me.Maybe i'd feel different if i lived their all my life, but i could never move to a place with so many deadly twisters.Prayers for those who died and lost everything...

Boyd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Honestly I love central Mi for that very reason.. only thing we gotta worry about is loosing power in -40C setting ;) no wildfires (like cali) earhquakes ( like out west) no big tornado's like the get down in the SW, only cold COLD COOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD winters.... that last for 6-7 months..

River Runner

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Another vote for Maine...from another New Brunswick. I have lived here most of my life, and love it. The air is clear, the rivers and lakes are not to polluted. I really love it in NB, and it is the same in Maine. I go there often. The people are great, a bit standoffish at first, but not to bad.
hwillm1977, what part of NB are you from? We are right in the center of the province on the banks of the Miramichi river.

Latest posts