Do You Like Where Your At...?

Mainergal

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I originally grew up in WV and lived in several places including right in Boston, MA. I didn't get a chance to venture out west much but ended up settling in Maine. I have to say that getting into the "Northern" part of Maine as posted here before does really make a big difference.

I love it here and would trade just maybe an extra month or two of hotter weather, but you really do get all the seasons and the extra mud season is in there too :D!

There are plenty of reasonable jobs here and more every year as more and more people seem to be coming to the area. I lived in my small town for almost 20 years now and when I first got here there was one traffic light and one cop. Ahhhhh, the good ole' days.

I would HIGHLY recommend Maine. It's like a trip in time in my spot. People are generally friendly, I just started to lock my front door and car this year because it's a "good idea". Crime is pretty light, there is still some here and there.

The state and my area in particular are VERY liberal in views and politics which can have it's good points and bad, just something to consider as well.

Come on up and I'll show you my secret spot to pick free wild blueberries in July :)

KevsFarm

On vacation
Reaction score
Thanks for the warm invite Mainergal...:) Now thats a good attitude, and really makes one feel welcome..! You know what, Mainergal..? The state of Maine should put you in charge of there tourism board...lol
Put me on the blueberry picking list...!

calendula

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
Keeping in mind I am from Wisconsin, "city" and "Medford" are not 2 words I think of as going together! :gig
:p Okay, small city. We have around 4200 people. But apparantly our city council thinks that we are some kind of elegant metropolis, too refined to have "dirty, smelly, chickens."

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Up-the-Creek said:
Icu4dzs said:
Lived in Virginia...the people are horrid there...still fighting the Civil War and all they want is for you to leave your money and go away. If you weren't born there, they don't recognize your existence.
:hit You mean it's OVER! Who won?????? :lol:
No one won. The south finally saw the futility in it so they quit fighting overtly and continued to this day "covertly". But then "Brutus IS an honorable man..."

Rhettsgreygal

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
calendula said:
Wifezilla said:
Keeping in mind I am from Wisconsin, "city" and "Medford" are not 2 words I think of as going together! :gig
:p Okay, small city. We have around 4200 people. But apparantly our city council thinks that we are some kind of elegant metropolis, too refined to have "dirty, smelly, chickens."
Marshfield isn't going to allow chickens in the city either. Hopefully the city won't creep any closer to us.

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Mainergal said:
I would HIGHLY recommend Maine. It's like a trip in time in my spot. People are generally friendly, I just started to lock my front door and car this year because it's a "good idea". Crime is pretty light, there is still some here and there.

Come on up and I'll show you my secret spot to pick free wild blueberries in July :)
The people are also a reason I love Maine... down to earth, friendly people who remind me a lot of people from New Brunswick so I feel at home there... You make maine sound wonderful Mainergal :)

I grew up in Carleton County, NB (a great place to grow potatoes too)... just across the border from Mars Hill/Presque Isle.

The 'village' I grew up in had a population of 46 people when we lived there... no stores at all, we bartered for a lot of our food rather than drive to the 'big' city of Bristol... I loved living there, and it really was like a trip back in time.

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
There are pluses and minuses living in Silicon Valley. It's waaaaay too costly. But the tech jobs pay well. The climate is gorgeous. But you can't afford land...

So yeah. We're looking at moving when DH retires. Possibly Oregon. Possibly Arizona (if it gets over the weird anti-immigrant laws - especially since DH IS an immigrant.) Possibly France or Italy - DH is a native Italian so can move to anywhere in Europe.

I was fine in Minnesota, but DH hates cold weather. So we have to find somewhere more temperate.

In the meantime, we're keeping our eyes and our options open.

KevsFarm

On vacation
Reaction score
AnnaRaven, whats happening in Arizona,hasn't anything to do with Europeans in the US legally as i'm sure your DH is...My grandfather came here from Sicily, i would love to visit his homeland someday....

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
KevsFarm said:
AnnaRaven, whats happening in Arizona,hasn't anything to do with Europeans in the US legally as i'm sure your DH is...My grandfather came here from Sicily, i would love to visit his homeland someday....
Here here!! I agree. Your DH has been here legally and that has nothing to do with the problems AZ is facing with the hemorrhage of immigrants coming over the border, carrying illegal drugs, weapons and draining the US treasury of Medicaid, Unemployment, and all sorts of other funds meant to help American citizens during hard times.

I hope you and DH find exactly what you want and are happy there (wherever that ends up being) Don't worry about AZ. There are still good places for everyone who plays by the rules as you apparently HAVE DONE. :thumbsup

All of us who have ancestors from other nations feel the same way. They came here, registered and became American citizens through hard work, learned to speak English, functioned in OUR society, worked and made a future for us. I for one am so glad they did. :clap

//BT//
Trim sends
2d generation American
Retired Naval Officer

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
Yeppers. I'm 2nd generation from 3 of 4 grandparents. The last one is blue blood and their family was really upset he sullied the lines. Which is funny since they immigrated too, just further back ;)

I'm in Colorado and love it. I do wish we had better soil, but meh. Nowhere is perfect. I don't know where I would live if I suddenly had enough money to buy land. Since I'd want to take Auntie and nieces with me, there'd be a lot of discussing in any case. Friendly gun laws and good soil. LOL.

Latest posts