Do you like your bread making machine and why?

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a used breadmaker at the Goodwill or such.

However I hear so many conflicting things about them.:hu

My goal would be to bake the bread without using too much energy and also I like the fact that once I started the machine going I would not necessarily need to attend to it as closely as doing it outside of the machine. I can see advantages for me personally to using a bread machine.

Size of the loaf and size of the unit itself are important to me. I would like to be able to make sandwiches and also have a small counter. I would probably need to put it away in a cupboard when not in use, but my counter is teensie weensie ittie bittie postage stamp of a kitchen. In summer, we do everything we can to NOT turn the regular oven on in this space as there is no AC in this house.

I'd like to know what brands and models have worked or not worked so we don't waste money, even buying something used. But I have found that many small appliances we have purchased at that kind of place were donated because they were not the greatest. If I'm devoting space in my tiny kitchen for this thing I want the right one, or will just continue by hand. But I want to know what pearl of a bread machine I'm looking for amongst the crap.

If you hate all bread machines, your opinion is also welcome, just let me know what brands you have tried! :)

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
We don't use it too much, as we prefer French bread, but it does come in handy. We normally only use it when time or activities do not allow for us to make bread by hand (it has a 45 minute quick cycle).

Hand made or from the bread machine, fresh baked bread is hard to beat.

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have a Panasonic yd250 (I think that's the model) and it makes a great loaf, I have never had one not turn out, and it had rave reviews on Amazon for longevity and Quality so that is why I ordered it. Unfortunately 2 of the 4 family members are now GF/DF due to diagnosed allergies so it is not seeing much use...Although I have made some pretty good GF/DF loaves with it!

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
....you can have mine.....when you pry my cold dead hands off it........ :D

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
:D
I can live without mine. I have to admit that it uses less electricity, doesn't heat up the kitchen, etc, but I don't use it very often.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I have yet to own one I dislike -- current one is a Black and Decker I think -- they certainly do not make anywhere near as nice a loaf as handmade, but for me the convenience is *way* worth it.

Honestly I use mine a lot just to knead dough -- I have arthritic wrists and do not own a stand mixer -- either for pizza, or to hand-form into rolls or loaves and bake in the oven. (edited to clarify -- I do use it to *bake* bread too, obviously :p, about twice a week)

If you are not accustomed to bread machines, be aware that they can be a bit finicky about recipes -- your handmade bread recipes will require some adaptation, and even recipes that do well in one make/model of bread machine may require adjustment to do well in a different one.

Pat

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I only use it to mix and rise - then I pull the dough out, shape and rise again. And mine is an Oster, I think. It's very old.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
No one seems to love theirs. Hm....