Do you like your bread making machine and why?

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Well so far I have three to have hubby look for, this is good. When you are shopping the thrift stores, it isn't like you have a lot of selection. But usually when we are there, I see at least one bread machine. Some of them have been nasty however, I'm a little picky about my used items esp ones I would cook food in.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Keep looking! We have bought several (and given them to friends) that are brand new still in the box for $5.00!

Laureli

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I have a Cornerbakery Breadman. I usually make a loaf every couple of weeks. I really like the machine... just wish I made bread more often. I find that I don't like it for sandwhich bread--I can never slice it just right. The loaf is generally oversized at 2 pounds for sandwhiches. I love the first slice with so much melted butter it drips over my fingers and I like the bread for toast. Three times now, I have thought about using the "stale" bread for bread pudding. (which you can also make in the machine), but usually, that stale bread is a chicken treat!

The machine came with directions for lots of other breads. Chocolate bread is so yummy, but I would gain 20 pounds just making it and another 20 for eating the two pound loaf. Finally, it does come with directions for making butter...maybe it would be cheaper, but even heavy cream is over 2 dollars a pint? sized carton. IDK for certain, but I seem to think that it would be cheaper to buy butter so therefore I have never made it..

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Welcome Laureli! I'm not sure what kind my bread machine is, but I have had several. My conslusions are that they are fine for kneading, but if you want a nice loaf, you need to put it in the oven.I find baking it in the actual machine leaves you with a thick, heavy loaf. It is so much better out of the oven.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
Welcome Laureli! I'm not sure what kind my bread machine is, but I have had several. My conslusions are that they are fine for kneading, but if you want a nice loaf, you need to put it in the oven.I find baking it in the actual machine leaves you with a thick, heavy loaf. It is so much better out of the oven.
The only problem with that suggestion is that it just won't work if your bread must be Gluten Free. That bread is so goopy you just simply can not handle it. :/

Cindlady2

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I've had 2 different ones.... I just mix a rise in mine then take out the dough and shape and bake. I do like that it's less time consuming and not as messy. It's also easier on my poor old shoulders. LOL

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
That seems to be what so many of you are doing.

I really wanted to not heat my house in summer, when it gets so scorching in here when the oven gets turned on (no AC). We have not found the right model yet so we are still looking.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Savingdogs, I don't have a bread machine (and can't really imagine ever getting one - no room on the counter, and I like the feel of bread kneading), but I do have a gas grill right outside the kitchen. I do a lot of my cooking out there. I also have a couple of recipes for flatbreads that I cook on the grill. Obviously this wouldn't work for a regular sandwich type bread, but they do fluff up enough to make nice pockets for sandwich fillings. And no heating the kitchen ;) (They would work just as well on a charcoal grill, but for only a few minutes baking its not worthwhile getting the grill up to heat, IMO)

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I have a little Weber grill outside but that is it, but I wonder if I could cook some pita style bread on there. That is a good suggestion, thanks.