Do you like your bread making machine and why?

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
savingdogs said:
Is it too late to add sugar since it is already dough? It seemed harder to work the dough, like kneading a big rock. I don't have high hopes for this loaf. :lol:
If it hasn't been rising for too long, I don't think you have anything to lose. That oatmeal toasting bread recipe on that gal's site, has two short rising periods and then you work the SALT in the dough with 8 minutes of kneading. The bread still rises again.

I learned that the extra resting time really helps, but that's to let the gluten relax. Since your bread is GFree, I dunno if it'd make a difference or not.

If you end up with a tough loaf, you can still do something with it. French toast? Grilled something or other sandwiches? Panini? Since I'm not GFree, I'm just guessing here....

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Marianne said:
And what the heck is 'spelt'?
Spelt is basically an ancient time of wheat... and YES it has gluten.

About the only grains that don't are amaranth, rice, quinoa, millet, buckwheat and oats and you have to beware of contamination in oats.

Gluten is what makes bread rise and be nice fluffy and soft.

They make great gluten free pasta out of brown rice, decent crackers and some other good substitutes, but good Gluten free bread is hard to come by. I have usually been using a Bob's Red Mill GF wonderful bread mix and then doctoring it.

Here is a pic of the result from my bread machine.

266_cooling_loaf1.jpg

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I think I'm going to try to work a little brown sugar into the loaf at the final rise. Then if it is a little tough, I can smear it with butter and warm it in the oven like coffee cake.

We are not trying to be gluten free, just to use different kinds of flours.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Wow! That looks like a photo from a baking cookbook or something!

Is that spelt bread? I'm afraid my loaf will not look as nice. :hide

Dirk Chesterfield

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I have a 15 year old Toastmaster Bread and Butter maker and think it is great.

It makes bread, (white, wheat, french), churns butter and also has a dough cycle. I will miss it when ever it gives up the ghost.

I use it to make flavored croutons too. Adding herbs to be baked in the loaf then cubing the entire finished loaf, tossing it with a little italian dressing and dehydrating the cubes until they are very crunchy. Yum.

The dough cycle is great for pizza, pita or other flat bread making because it raises the dough the first time.

Making fresh butter is awesome. Just pour in heavy cream and turn it on. When its finished churning drain the butter, add salt and or herbs / spices / honey for a special treat.

It is cheap to run and doesn't heat up the house like an oven, which is important when our NC weather regularly gets above 90 during May. I can easily make a loaf for less then 75 cents when I grind my own wheat. Even using store bought flour it is at least half the cost per loaf then buying store bought bread.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
savingdogs said:
Wow! That looks like a photo from a baking cookbook or something!

Is that spelt bread? I'm afraid my loaf will not look as nice. :hide
Nope. That is BEAN bread! :ep :lol:

The main ingredients are Garbanzo Bean flour, Potato Starch, Corn Starch and Sorghum Flour. By the way GF doughs are so goopy you can't handle them at all. NO KNEADING or you can't get it off of your hands!

I usually like to kind of "proof" the yeast when I make a normal loaf of wheat bread. I start the yeast, egg, sweetener, salt and warm water (or milk) with a bit of the flour and allow that to "get going" for about 5 to 10 minutes before adding the remaining flours. I think it makes a lighter loaf.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Dirk Chesterfield said:
I use it to make flavored croutons too. Adding herbs to be baked in the loaf then cubing the entire finished loaf, tossing it with a little italian dressing and dehydrating the cubes until they are very crunchy. Yum.
That is how I make GF Croutons for stuffing as well!

Rhettsgreygal

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have a Welbilt model ABM4800 that I bought at a thrift store in town for $5.00. It works really well for us. I generally make only wheat bread with no white flour added and the breads rise well for me. I don't bake as much bread as I would like to since Roy has been working 90 miles west of here and we only see each other on weekends. If I would bake a loaf on a week day, it would be gone pretty quickly since I am such a carbaholic. I made some really delicious whole wheat orange bread this weekend and it turned out well.

Annette