Do you like your bread making machine and why?

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Pita work well, and only need a few minutes per side. I also make a nice naan bread when I cook Indian food; its fluffier and softer than the pita because it has yogurt in it. Haven't tried them on the grill yet, but can't see why it wouldn't work. (I make an Afghani style naan; it has more to it than Indian naan, more of a breadlike interior.)

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Gosh, it sounds like you make some interesting foods! I love ethnic meals. I haven't had too much of it since leaving Los Angeles, but used to enjoy trying foods of different nationalities.

I must admit, my last loaf of hand-made bread came out terrible and I made a big double batch. They did not rise. I finally cooked it anyways, thinking it might be a little hard, but they came out like ROCKS.

The family was teasing me because they gave them to the dogs, and one dog chewed on one for about an hour, and another wanted to take his outside and bury it like a bone! :hide

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
savingdogs said:
Gosh, it sounds like you make some interesting foods! I love ethnic meals. I haven't had too much of it since leaving Los Angeles, but used to enjoy trying foods of different nationalities.

I must admit, my last loaf of hand-made bread came out terrible and I made a big double batch. They did not rise. I finally cooked it anyways, thinking it might be a little hard, but they came out like ROCKS.

The family was teasing me because they gave them to the dogs, and one dog chewed on one for about an hour, and another wanted to take his outside and bury it like a bone! :hide
We loved the variety of ethnic food choices we had in the San Jose area; that was really our main (only, to be honest) regret about moving to where we are now. But I love to cook, so I have just been polishing off my cookbooks, and getting to it! :lol: Quite honestly, the food at *Chez ORChick* is pretty darn good!
My mother never could make bread. Yeast scared her for some reason, but she thought that Irish soda bread was something she might be able to do. My father always said that it would be a good addition to the stonewalls of our house :lol:. (She was, by the way, in all other respects an excellent cook and baker)

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I'm not naturally a good cook but I'm an excellent eater! :hide

We make thai, mexican and italian food and a few pseudo chinese or japanese dishes. I totally miss jamaican, cuban and other asian dishes we used to have all the time.

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have a super old looking Oster that my mother got for my daughter at a yard sale-DD changed her mind(said it looked like too much trouble) and so I took it home to play with.. I have been making all our breads and bread type stuff for quite a few years now so I figured I would see the competition!;) This thing makes the worst baked bread ever!:barnie
But, it makes a fine dough and since my hands tend to hurt sometimes too much to even want to knead I have been fixing all my recipes to work in the machine..
I have tweaked all the recipes quite well and so far I have only had one get "over beaten" and kill the gluten strands(my fault I forgot an ingredient and then set it wrong and it ran the cycle twice.. flat bread)
I love mine so much for making my dough recipes for me that I bought another identical one at another yard sale for a buck! And plan to buy any more that I find this summer cheap. I even had them both going this summer to make repeat batches of pizza dough for a party. I just had to time them and wait for the beep when the rise time came on, then you pull it and put the dough in bowls to rise and set the machines going again.
Both the machines looked brand new and looked like they had never been used.
And so far all of my dough that I hand form and do the second rise has done very well, from cinnamon rolls to pita bread to dinner rolls and big loaves of bread.
I even got good bagels finally but you have to watch for the rise cycle and pull the dough then and form it for the second rise.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Just a note.

My friend the Thrift store scavenger brought me 2 more bread machines this week. One was a Sunbeam for $2.50 in perfect shape and with an EXTRA beater bar and the other was a Wellbuilt which is BIG and clunky for the size of the loaf pan, but was BRAND new still in the box with all packaging for $5.99.

I am probably keeping the Sunbeam since it is more compact. (I will test it first) I want to use it for a dedicated GLUTEN machine so I can make my family cinnamon rolls once more without getting sick from wheat flour dust. (Gives me a BAD sore throat :( ) The other one I will be taking to school to use with the little kiddos. :)

Even if you just use them to knead dough for under $10.00 they are a steal!

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
wow those are some good prices at your goodwill!
:ep

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Living in the BIG stinky city does have a few advantages and one of them is MANY MANY thrift stores.

My friend sells vintage clothes and accessories on line and man OH man does she have an eye for fantastic clothes. Everything she sells is designer or major label in pristine condition and looks like it came straight out of a time capsule! She makes good money with her little business, but in order to find what she finds she often goes to 4 or 5 different thrift stores every DAY! To my advantage as well. If I get an idea of something that I would like I just pass the word and she keeps eyes open, then I buy it from her. I would recommend the team work as well. With many people watching in their travels (auctions, garage sales, thrift stores) you can find just the right thing (bread machine or other) at just the right price! Even if the friend accidentally gets something that I can't use - I still buy it from them and find it a new home myself, but that doesn't often happen.

Using this "Team Hunt" method I have acquired: three dehydrators all under $10.00 (two I re-homed to interested friends), a manual grain grinder, two manual meat grinders, a vintage trunk (that I re-did and sold), a Squeezo brand deseeder/pulper, three water bath canners, an antique corn planter, huge steamer/stockpot, I believe that I am on my 9th (!!) bread machine for under $10, gallon canning jars, plastic lids for canning jars, two juicers one manual and one power. That is only a beginning list!! Now days most of my friends know me well enough that if they see "some weird thing she would like" they come tote-ing it to my house the next day. :lol: :lol:

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Actually my daugher and her fiance "team hunt" with us, somewhat. We still are looking for the right breadmaker though.

Latest posts