Do you school/homeschool year round?

mrscoyote

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We do. I have found we get to bored taking 3 months off. I prefer to spread out the days off throughout the year.

Mattemma

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I did when the kids where schooled at home.It worked out far better to just do our own thing when we wanted. I miss it!

Mart

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Yes, homeschooling has no schedule in my home. It takes the rhythm of the seasons and the work load. Kids learn all day long. When it feels right, we sit down and do theory. They don't really know what weekends are actually.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I do. I have a job, so school is when I am available or otherwise home. It is a little difficult when the public school kids get home on the bus because they come over to my house.......I got farm chores, childcare and I don't get off of work til noon, then no sooner I start, that we get invaded. So when we really want quiet and catch up time, we go to the library.

mandieg4

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
This is our first year homeschooling but the plan is to go year round. We only do school work 4 days a week because of my work schedule, so the kids have plenty of down time. We also took all of December off. Besides, summers here in Georgia are too dang hot to be outside so we might as well do school work inside.

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We do, although not full time. I find that one or two days per week in the Summer prevents having to review anything once we start back to a full schedule.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
We kind of took a break from anything organized over the summer...more unschooling and learning about stuff as it came. We read a lot over the summer and still go to the library every week and tend to be outside more so we take nature walks and observe and talk about stuff a lot. Rainy days we do stuff on the computer and play games and such but then again that tends to be what we do normally....We just don't make it as obvious...like here's some math exercises or let's practice our writing now. We do more verbal stuff.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I like to turn in grades every few weeks for the end of a quarter (sorta like 9 weeks)....but even when I fall slightly behind, I don't stress it too much. We have animals to tend and gardens to work and plant and the kids are right there with us, so one way or the other, they are learning. And sometimes learning things they would have NEVER gotten in public or even Catholic school. They are able to pretty much know as much in some areas as their counter parts in public, plus more (the things that have been subtracted from the history books for example), and if we really need to, a school day can be done in just a few hours and the rest of the day is our own.

Blaundee

Power Conserver
Reaction score
mrscoyote said:
We do. I have found we get to bored taking 3 months off. I prefer to spread out the days off throughout the year.
We did not do math or English during the summer. Everything else was incorporated into our normal life so we continued with it- reading, writing, science, etc.

Latest posts