Does anybody have Book- Reader's Digest Back to Basics? Any Edition?

jenlyn9483

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hello Im looking to buy this book, I have priced them on Amazon but wanted to see if I could find a better deal first. We had this book growing up and it was like the survival bible to my mother growing up. She has recently checked it out from the library and I want my own copy.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I have one.....but I wouldn't let go of it for money! ;) :lol: I know what you mean and I came to have mine through a dear aunt who found it at a yard sale! How in the world anyone could sell it there....and for a $1?!

I hope you find one because you are correct...they are enormously helpful and chock full of information for SS living. Good luck and I will have an eye open in my part of the world....if I find one, I'll just send it to you!

I'll check at my local library, it may be an older book that they want to get rid of, who knows? They also have a book sale each year...a massive one of donated books from just everywhere...I'll be looking out for this type of book.

You may try to ask at your library also. :)

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
SimplyForties said:
Have you looked on ebay? There seem to be quite a few for sale there at a wide range of prices.
Including a hardcover 1997 edition at the great price of only $98.86 (shipping NOT included) sheesh! It is a great book, though I'd probably skip this particular offer.

Although, I have to admit it is a better deal than the used copy on Amazon for $999. :rolleyes:

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I found the Back to Basics on Amazon, a total of 19 new or used copies with the cheapest being $19. Funny thing.....almost all of them show lots of wear and writing inside them! Useful book, huh? ;)

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ohhhh, I have a gold mind!! :lol: I have...All Reader's Digest...
1)Back to Basics ( How to learn and enjoy Traditional American Skills)
2) Fix-It-Yourself Manual ( How to repair, clean and maintain anything and everything in and around your home)
3)Complete Do-It-Yourself Manual

Im sorry, but I wouldn't let my copies go either. They were a gift from my FIL..and well...he knows just how "handy" I am trying to be around here.
They sit on the shelf, right next to my Carla Emery's Old Fashioned Recipe Book. ( An Encyclopedia of Country living)
Glorius Country, By Liz Trigg-Tessa Evelegh-Stewart and Sally Walton ( Food Crafts and Decorateing)
And...
Country Acres ( Country wisdom for the working Landscape)
By David Larkin with Sabra Elliott Larkin

MY Life lovin Library!!!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
justusnak said:
Ohhhh, I have a gold mind!! :lol: I have...All Reader's Digest...
1)Back to Basics ( How to learn and enjoy Traditional American Skills)
2) Fix-It-Yourself Manual ( How to repair, clean and maintain anything and everything in and around your home)
3)Complete Do-It-Yourself Manual

Im sorry, but I wouldn't let my copies go either. They were a gift from my FIL..and well...he knows just how "handy" I am trying to be around here.
They sit on the shelf, right next to my Carla Emery's Old Fashioned Recipe Book. ( An Encyclopedia of Country living)
Glorius Country, By Liz Trigg-Tessa Evelegh-Stewart and Sally Walton ( Food Crafts and Decorateing)
And...
Country Acres ( Country wisdom for the working Landscape)
By David Larkin with Sabra Elliott Larkin

MY Life lovin Library!!!
Lucky dog you!!

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Jup, I have all three of them also. Bought one brand new many, many years ago (Fix-It-Yourself Manual) . Got one at the library book sale (Complete Do-It-Yourself Manual) and the last one at Goodwill for $1.00 (Back to Basics).
I found a copy of the Fix-It-Yourself Manual at Goodwill also and gave it to my daughter.
Sorry, I'm not parting with any of them :plbb
But, if they are in such demand, I will keep checking the Goodwill and buy them up and sell 'em to you guys at a slight markup :hide ;)

Actually, I would buy them, because I know lots of folks who would love to have them, including my siblings. I just haven't seen any other than the ones I did buy.

One of SO's freinds once said, "but they are old and outdated" and I said "so is my stuff, that why I need these books" :lol:

It is amazing how often we refer to them.

I hope you find one reasonably priced.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
You all are just MEAN, now! :duc Braggin' about having the whole set! Shame! :old :lol: :lol: :gig

:hide

Hey.....I just happen to know that Justy is kind of down in the back and couldn't fight real hard if we were to sneak in and steal her set of RD books! :drool

Anybody wanna join me? :D

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
jenlyn9483 said:
Hello Im looking to buy this book, I have priced them on Amazon but wanted to see if I could find a better deal first. We had this book growing up and it was like the survival bible to my mother growing up. She has recently checked it out from the library and I want my own copy.
I got mine as a present from my mother in 1979. I wouldn't let it go either!

Don't forget to cHeck yard sales and library sales too! There was a copy for sale not long along at our library's semi-annual book sale.