Does anyone do kitchen scrap gardening? Planting, not composting

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Our first winter out here, I saved back a lettuce root/stump, carrot tops and radish tops and potted them up so we'd have some winter "greens" for the chickens. It worked okay for a few weeks but southern window exposure is minimal in the camper and they didn't get enough light. It was a fun experiment, though! :D

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
In the next couple of days I will be tearing into a horseradish root for making another batch of fire cider tonic and attempting my first batch of home made horseradish sauce.

I got the largest root they had at the store and hopefully will have enough of the root left over to plant so that we can grow our own from now on and not have to buy it from the store. :fl Since it can take over a garden and because our soil is so rocky, I'm going to plant it in a 20 gallon tub which has a large crack in the very bottom of it.

odd_duck99

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I did the green onion thing. You can either plant them or leave them in a cup of water, but planting them keeps them happy longer. You just keep snipping them, and they keep growing!

On a side note, when we first moved in we were paroosing the wild and crazy-neglected back yard when we saw...onions! We went over to investigate and they were growing through/in an old lawn chair! That was the weirdest thing we had ever discovered. No, we didn't eat them - God only knows what they were or what they were growing in, etc.:sick

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm going to be doing some green onions, myself, as I came home with a big bag of them from my mom's on Saturday.

sparks

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
This is a great thread. I recently canned dry beans and found 2 black bean sprouts in the dish drainer. Planted them and they are in the garden about 1 foot high. A fun experiment.:weee

YogaMama

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I have done the green onions, from the store. All I did was clip the green onions, till it started to turn white, then put them in a glass of water. After the roots start growing a bit, I plant them. Endless green onions! I've done this with garlic, too. I'll break apart a bulb and plant them! I've heard of celery, cutting it down and soaking the old root ball till you have some roots starting, but I haven't tried it yet. Interesting thread indeed!

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Just wanted to do an update:

Here's a look at the green onions that I talked about back in March:

603_pa149726.jpg

I've finally gotten ginger and horseradish root pieces potted up about 2 weeks ago but not seeing any sprouts yet. The weather has been cooler, with quite a bit of rain and I'm sure that has something to do with it.

Had a rather poor garlic harvest, due to the heat and drought we dealt with this spring on into summer, so we bought the garlic needed for making the fire cider tonic. Doc brought home a good-sized bag ofit and I'm saving back all of the largest cloves to plant in the garlic bed this year. ;)

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Dawn, keep us posted on the ginger! I want to try to grow some here. From what I read, grocery store root pieces will work.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
They will. Hubby had one sprout on him, but didn't handle it right-so it died. :/