Does anyone do kitchen scrap gardening? Planting, not composting

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well, had a major fail on the root cuttings from the ginger and horseradish. We had a bunch of rain after I potted them and the cuttings rotted instead of rooting!:rolleyes:

Doc brought home another root of each about a week and a half ago. I was busy with other things and left them sitting here on my seat(bench) under the little plant table, still wrapped in their produce bags. I had logged off the computer this afternoon before the storms moved in and used the time to get my kombucha bottled and my next batch brewing. Once I was done with that, I decided to pull the ginger and horseradish roots out to see if they were any good still. :hu

Not only are they still good, they started growing/rooting! :celebrate

603_pb119902.jpg

Will probably pot up some cuttings of both on Tuesday and keep them in the coldframe over winter. That way I'll have more control over watering and it'll be warmer for them, too.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Dawn, LMK what you do w/the ginger. Hubby tried to grow some that had sprouted and ignored what I told him to do. (I researched it on the internet) As a result, it didn't survive.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
This is rather timely!! I just planted some ginger in a pot a couple days ago! But I have it in the house for the winter.