Does anyone else butcher their own meat?

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hey, the only meat I butcher is when I try to carve a turkey...what a mess! :lol:

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Butchered 4 cockerels this morning to BBQ this evening for company. Their parts are currently marinating in spices and sauces. They were pretty young, so too scrawny for a full on butchering....just split their skin down the front, removed the breasts and thighs/legs, kept the feet for stock later on, and gave the carcasses to the dogs, chickens and cats to feed on. No gutting or skinning necessary, quick and easy.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Nothing goes to waste when you have dogs and chickens!!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
...and pigs!

Beekissed, that sounds like an easier way to harvest some meat. Even the older ones might be doable that way (?) have never tried but, if you are only going to stew for broth, soup, etc...seems reasonable. I know the bones, etc. are best for the broth. Sometimes we just need/want to reduce the flock/feed. Have you ever done this with older ones? Curious.

Do you skin those feet ?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
...and pigs!

Beekissed, that sounds like an easier way to harvest some meat. Even the older ones might be doable that way (?) have never tried but, if you are only going to stew for broth, soup, etc...seems reasonable. I know the bones, etc. are best for the broth. Sometimes we just need/want to reduce the flock/feed. Have you ever done this with older ones? Curious.

Do you skin those feet ?

If they are a small type hen and I'm just doing one bird, I'll do the breast and thigh on her, as the rest of her carcass won't contain much meat.

Most of my birds are WRs, so very meaty and heavy...those I never just remove the choice meat from, but butcher out the whole bird. They tend to have a lot of golden fat that's good for rendering and they can really fill a canning jar, so nothing goes to waste on those birds. Those I usually do in groups in the spring and fall, so usually use the carcass for making stock.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Before I broke down and bought a plucker I butchered many a bird the way Bee described. I still occasionally do it that way if I just have one or two to do. It works well! I also am wondering about using the feet. I was butchering one day when I had a couple of my former students helping me around the farm. When they saw me toss a foot to the dog they asked if they could take some of the extras home to their mom. Well of course! This sweet lady who spoke very little English called me just to say thanks. I never was able to get the details from her sons on how she used them, (they thought she made some kind of soup out of them) but I'm just thrilled that somebody got some use from them. I need to investigate this a little further.