Does anyone else butcher their own meat?

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Always have done just a "full" butcher......and we all know what a MESSY job. But I like the skin it method. I rarely butcher anymore but if I do get back into that, I'd get one of the attachments to pluck -- you put it on a drill. I have plans from net that tell you to use two big ( 30-55 gal) plastic tubs, hole in side to insert drill. drums on top one another, side cut out of top one to hold bird into for plucking. Plastic bag in bottom one to lift out & discard when done. Improvement but still a mess.

The feet...I was told by a lovely Jewish lady that you must use those if you want really good chicken broth for those soups. I have seen them in a few stores on occasion. It appears they have been either skinned or scaled --not sure. Like bones from carcass, flavor imparted.

Anyone got a use for the "oink" from the pig? Seems all else used.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@baymule

https://www.amazon.com/Dux-Industries-Tabletop-Defeather-Commercial/dp/B00BGV3EBO
upload_2016-8-5_7-39-48.png

This is the one I got a couple years ago. (priced a bit less then) Works great and makes plucking a 30 second chore instead of a 30 minute one! I like having a plucked bird for roasting, but I hated plucking and I was slow and inefficient. You still have to scald the bird first, but dang does it get those feathers off!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Wow, FEM -- nice one! But, for me the "el cheapo", $30 drill attachment is all I would do. Got the barrels free, have the drill, can sit next to a table to do. If I actually get around to doing the bator chicks this winter, I will need to butcher roos in Spring. I almost hate the thought but, one thing leads to another & will need to do it. I figure the $$ I save will be used for the vac sealer device I am getting ready to research & buy. Got those piggies going to market in 2 wks, then back to be pkgd.

So, who has one and why "that" brand of sealer? Oh, must have the variable size bag deal.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Please let me know how the drill attachment plucker works! I looked at some, read some reviews and decided to go ahead and take the plunge with this one. If/when it ever gives up the ghost, I might decide to go with the drill.

ps - I didn't pay $350 for mine! I got it several years ago and it was at least a hundred dollars cheaper.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I like your plucker FEM! I am going to skin the batch of roosters I've got, but plucking sure would make a nicer carcass. It sure is something to tuck into the back of my head.....

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We butchered 32 roosters. 3 weeks ago, we butchered 11 on Monday, 11 on Tuesday and held them on ice while I processed them. I cut off the breast meat and vacuum sealed it. I cut off the thigh and leg meat, heated it, packed in jars and pressure canned it. I canned broth from the feet and carcasses. I packed the bony back pieces in quart jars, along with rice, green beans and the feet, for dog food. All together I got 48 pint jars of broth.

We butchered 10 more this past Monday and I just bagged and froze them. A neighbor bought 7 of them. She had bought 2 from the first batch and couldn't stop bragging how good they were. I now have NO roosters. Those Delawares were too durn mean. Next batch will be Australorps. Oh, out of 50 Delaware chicks, I have 11 pullets. Mortality was 8.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@baymule Was that a straight run of chicks? Or did you ASK for roosters and 'accidentally" got 8 pullets? Are the pullets laying yet? I was just wondering because at one time I contemplated Delawares. Kinda glad now I didn't get any! I won't tolerate a mean rooster.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@baymule Was that a straight run of chicks? Or did you ASK for roosters and 'accidentally" got 8 pullets? Are the pullets laying yet? I was just wondering because at one time I contemplated Delawares. Kinda glad now I didn't get any! I won't tolerate a mean rooster.

Yeah, it was straight run. I thought I'd get about 50/50 and have some roosters to butcher, plus keep one to replicate the breed. Never dreamed that I would be up to my neck in roosters. And they are so darn mean that I didn't keep a single rooster. I plan on finding a RIR roo to put over the Delaware hens for red sex links. Also hear nothing but nice things on Australorps and want to try them next. Looking for my permanent farm chicken breed. They hatched 4/20/16 and are not laying yet. The pullets are not so nice either. They peck my legs, tug on my blue jeans and even untie my shoe strings. We'll see how they lay.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@baymule

https://www.amazon.com/Dux-Industries-Tabletop-Defeather-Commercial/dp/B00BGV3EBO
View attachment 1637

This is the one I got a couple years ago. (priced a bit less then) Works great and makes plucking a 30 second chore instead of a 30 minute one! I like having a plucked bird for roasting, but I hated plucking and I was slow and inefficient. You still have to scald the bird first, but dang does it get those feathers off!

Do you scald the chickens before plucking? I hate scalding....