Does anyone here read German?

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My Mom's family all speak German, they immigrated to Canada from Eastern Europe via Germany after the war. So I've grown up all my life hearing it spoken and can understand quite a bit, plus I took a year of German at university just to get the written basics down. My accent is terrible, so I never speak it, but I do ok with written stuff or when people speak slowly.

I had to look up the "Marillenlikor" because I knew it was liquor, but not what type of fruit or grain it was made from.

The literal translation, line by line, goes something like:

House-made Specialty
Elfriede Deureztbacher
Bahnhoff (which means Train Station) Street 139
A-3511 (likely the highway number) Furth near Gottweig
(not sure about the Furth part--if it had an umlaut/two dots above the
letter u it would be a town near Nuremburg Germany, but Gottweig is in Austria
so it must have a village nearby called Furth as well)
Telephone 02732 84987 (not sure about the L6932)
Apricot Liquor/Liqueur .2 Litres (200 ml) 24% alcohol per volume

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
It gets better--it came in a gift box with a jar of boozy apricot jam, and I just checked the label on the liqueur that I have always assumed was also apricot, and it turns out to be raspberry (I did a quick online translation since I didn't recognize the word "malinowa" (raspberry) but remembered that apricot was "morela".

[hic!] It's good stuff :)

Avalon1984

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I am German and cannot read her hadnwriting either :idunno I can make out some letters but not enough to form a word.

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
JR - you should definitely write to them...I think they would get a kick out of knowing where their bottle ended up!! (Like the old "message in a bottle" thing). :D

(And sorry for calling you AL...got you Florida people mixed up!) ;)

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Avalon1984 said:
I am German and cannot read her hadnwriting either :idunno I can make out some letters but not enough to form a word.
It's really different, isn't it? My Oma's handwriting was very legible, albeit in the European style which is different to how we write here. I actually make my 1s and 7s European style because of my Oma :)

Avalon1984

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
moolie said:
Avalon1984 said:
It's really different, isn't it? My Oma's handwriting was very legible, albeit in the European style which is different to how we write here. I actually make my 1s and 7s European style because of my Oma :)
Same here! We did learn the old type of writing when I was in elementary school but this one is just too much :)

Latest posts