Does Queso Fresco melt?

RedneckWoman

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I made queso fresco on Wednesday using the Fiasco Farms recipe. I was thinking it would melt but mine is just not melting. It's driving me crazy. It has a nice flavor and we'll use it, but I was hoping to use it on quesadillas or something fake mexicanish. (Oh, and I followed the recipe pretty closely.) Do you think I messed up or does this kind of cheese not melt?

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
The website said it might be rubbery before it ages enough. Maybe just give it more time and try again. This sounds really cool.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
IIRC, aged Mexican cheeses are more apt to melt than fresh. Queso asadero is a popular melting cheese and is reminiscent of Monterey jack. Another melter is queso manchego. There is actually a queso quesadilla, which is more of a hybrid and used, as the title implies, for such applications as quesadillas.

These cheeses are readily available here in California, but I don't know a thing about how the home cheesemaker would go about making them.

RedneckWoman

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I keep testing it every day and you're right! It does get softer but does not melt. My impression from the fiasco farms site was that it would melt. Oh well. :p Thanks for letting me know though because I would probably keep going on like this forever daily cutting off a slice and trying to melt it.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
The whole point of queso fresco (as the term is usually used in the US) is that it WON'T melt. You can sautee it, use it in chunks in/on hot dishes, it will soften a bit but stay solid.

Pat

RedneckWoman

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
The whole point of queso fresco (as the term is usually used in the US) is that it WON'T melt. You can sautee it, use it in chunks in/on hot dishes, it will soften a bit but stay solid.

Pat
Okay. See I thought queso blanco was more like paneer and didn't melt but queso fresco did melt. :/ Maybe I'll just stick with making cheddar from now on. :p

Rev Joe

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I made queso fresco on Wednesday using the Fiasco Farms recipe. I was thinking it would melt but mine is just not melting. It's driving me crazy. It has a nice flavor and we'll use it, but I was hoping to use it on quesadillas or something fake mexicanish. (Oh, and I followed the recipe pretty closely.) Do you think I messed up or does this kind of cheese not melt?

If you like the flavor of the cheese but want it to melt then use Rennet. I suspect your recipe called for a bit if vinegar or other acidic agent to make the curds. Cheeses made by using acids typically either will not melt at all or will only melt under rather extreme conditions. Cheeses made with Rennet all tend to melt fairly easily. :)

SO! If you like the flavor of the cheese...... use Rennet if you want to melt it into or on top of other ingredients........ but if you want the cheese to stand up well to heat and not become a melty mess..... use an acid like vinegar or lemon juice. Expect the same flavor but a different result when cooking.