Does the absolute lowest price win?

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I've finally compiled my chicken-scratch into a spreadsheet/chart to show what stores have the lowest prices.

First I had to get everything into the same unit so I could compare prices. :rolleyes: PITA. Now I know why every company makes their package a little bit different size - so you can't easily chose by price!

I'm disappointed that WalMart really does have the lowest price for staples like sugar and flour.

Do you pay the lowest price? Or other factors that contribute?

(I do have to say that I will ONLY buy 100% recycled "kleenex" and 100% recycled aluminum foil. I try to buy local too... )

How do you make these decisions?

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I look at ad papers and when I see something on sale I use I stock up. So lowest regular prices may be at Walmart but not the lowest you can pay!

tamlynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Quality should be considered too. Not that you're going to find quality differences in sugar, but definitely for other things.

You can get a cheeseburger for $1, but that doesn't mean you should eat it just because it's cheap.

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Because "good" shopping is at least 45 minutes away, I usually do most of my shopping at Costco or Sam's Club. So I can do a one stop shopping and buy in large quantities. I only shop once a month. We do have a little mom and pop grocery store so I can get things like milk in between the big shopping days. So I have to look at the cost of gas versus a cheaper price. Really kind of is a wash for me.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
We still have quite a few stores around here to choose from, so service is what I look at as well as price. I try very hard to NOT give wally world any of our money....

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
If I have to drive out of my way to get a lower price, it may not be worth it. I get about 14 MPG w/my truck. Gas prices are up to about $2.85 around here. So, if I have to drive 10 miles, let's say to save $1.00, then I'm actually losing money.

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My long-time hunting and fishing buddy would eat horse manure if it was a penny cheaper. Some of the things he buys to take on hunting trips is disgusting. Only because it is cheap and most of it is not fit to eat.

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I try to know where the cheapest prices are. IF I run out and if it's on the way or close to another destination.

The way I usually shop though is to know what I use and stock up. If it's a decent price I might buy ten pounds of sugar, say. If it's a FANTASTIC price, I will probably buy 25-30 pounds. Often the cheapest price is a good sale at a local chain on 4-pound bags, so I might buy several.

I rarely HAVE to go to the grocery store for something I am out of. I do keep a running list of anything I get low on for about 4-6 weeks before I will run out. That allows me to compare prices and try to catch a sale or, if prices are TOO high, I can usually adjust the menu or cooking method to put it off longer.

And worse come to worse, I could actually go a pretty long while on what I have in the pantry.

It works pretty well for me.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Walmart can be the low price....BUT...it depends on the size of the package. Often the large bulk pack is MORE expensive than the smaller package. I have noticed this with frozen veggies and beans a lot.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Funny thing about Wally World....you'd think their prices are the lowest. I went and stocked up on soaps, detergents etc today. They had GV dish soap $1.47 for I think 16 oz. but new Gain dish soap was 1.47 for a 20 oz. bottle. You really have to watch, on things like soaps, they don't often put out the price per ounce as they do in the food section. I dunno why not. Also, laundry deteregent I noticed they had this huge LOOKING bottle that does 96 loads for $11something GV brand, but the Purex 96 loads bottle was only $8something. I looked, BOTH were the same fl. oz. but the GV packaging was just bigger. who do they really thik they are kidding? I tell ya who...people in a hurry. Good thing I have a bit more time to shop and check value. Sad for those who do not. :( Quality AND price, always wins out with me.