Does the absolute lowest price win?

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
W/detergent, I always figure out the price per load. I can't change detergents, or my hubby breaks out. But, I'm always looking to see which sized bottle is actually the best deal. So, I don't go by how much it costs by ounce, but by load. More often than not, the smaller bottle seems to be cheaper.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Yep I have noticed that as well. I am making my own after this last bottle I have is used. I had "treated" myself to storebought since DH was working. That's over now :lol:

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Right on package size - I always do the math. This week the bag-brand mini-wheats for my son were cheaper in the small bags! WTH? Oh well. I bought 2 small bags.

One thing is that I can take it with me and know when a sale is really a sale. I have to take a calculator with to help me with the math, but I really want to know.

There was a sale 5 lb bags of flour for $1 each. I didn't really know how good of a sale it was, so I bought 5 bags. It was almost 1/2 price, but I didn't know that. (I also wasn't baking that much then...)

I have to start adding on the non-food items....

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have certain minimum requirements for many of the things I buy - as you do for tissues. I look for the lowest prices that fit my requirements, and that often means not the lowest price overall. For instance, I do not use margarine, so pay no attention to its price as compared to butter. When I find something that meets my criteria, and that I know to be a good price, I stock up.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
What about fresh foods? Fruits, veggies, meats?

The nearest farmer's market to me is like an hour away. I have a little garden stand closeby but I heard through the grapevine that they are pesticide heavy over there so I stay away from them.

I find the bulk of my grocery bill is for fresh foods every week. Shame that to eat well (healthier) it is often more expensive. Why does real food seem to cost so much more?

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I had to stop at the little local grocery store and cauliflower was $4.74 for a little head of cauliflower. And 2 small things of broccoli was $2.72. But cucumbers were 2 for a $1 and green peppers were $1 a piece.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
For me, I go for quality a bit over just the lowest price.

But I therefore have less stuff in general.

Things that either don't matter or to get the good stuff it's stupid expensive, I just go for cheapest...

Frozen veggies: Cheapest without added ingredients.

Chocolates: Absolute best regardless of price I just buy it more rarely.

I don't buy the normal sugar and flour staples but I tended towards organic bulk when I did. So cheapest of the better end LOL.

Things like canned tuna where I've never seen any real difference... cheapest... I'm not even convinced it's tuna in there and not cut with cheap white fish, but it's quick protein and pretty certainly meat of a sort. >.>

Meat: I go for sales. I PREFER to get everything free range/grass fed/organic/blah blah healthy blah but realistically I'm poor. If there is a great sale on meat I stock up.

Things like coconut oil and nut oils, I wait for sales and then stock up.

Veggies I go for the freshest I can get, preferably local, and hope it's a decent price.

Ummm... what else do I buy?

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
does the lowest price always win? For us right now, no, sorta. Way back when money was tight, yes.

For instance, --cheese, I read the labels. If it has modified milk ingredients in the list, I don't buy it. Therefore, when Black Diamond or whatever cheese is on sale for $3.94 a brick(which it is this week), I don't buy it.

Back when money was tight, I would stock up and put some in the freezer.

But for what i am looking for, yes, price does matter, as long as the quality is equal. Fresh fruits and vegetables, off season,-- yes, if broccoli is on sale, We eat alot of broccoli that week. Caluliflower on sale, same thing.

Just because something is on sale does not get me to buy it, as with the cheese. If it is something I use, then the lowest price wins, does that make sense?