Does the absolute lowest price win?

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Yeah there is one kind of cheese on sale a lot that I don't like because it doesn't grate well. And it's NOT "low-moisture" mozzerella, regardless of the label. I can tell by the was my pizzas turn out!

EllenDee

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I know this is an old thread, but I just wanted to let you know - In Australia, it is now compulsory for the big supermarkets etc. to have unit pricing - in other words, they have to put the cost per KG or per 100g etc. on the price ticket. It has only come in recently, but it makes it so much easier.

I do a lot of my shopping online, and it is even easier because you can sort by unit price, and get the cheapest per KG at the top of the page - are there any markets in the US doing this, or any plans for it? Our supermarkets fought it for a long time but had to give in eventually!

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Most of the ones I shop at (haha, there are only a couple near me!) but ok, most of the ones I've seen do have it. Especially big stores ... mom and pops might not. And they don't always have it on every item. And actually you have to watch, because it's not ALWAYS the same unit measure they are comparing.

Sometimes I can do the math in my head and know the one that appears less expensive on the tag is actually not the better buy. But probably more than 95 % of the time it is accurate.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
My cell phone has a calculator on it, so if the units aren't the same, I can do the math. Only problem I might have is reading what I've put in and the answer!

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
LOL that's my problem too! I wish I could change the text size on mine! (I can some things but not others)

Luckily I can usually do the math in my head if I need to. I might not get to 1/100th of a penny, but I can compare two things easily enough. Usually. :)

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
@ Ellen - Most places have per unit labeling, but some products don't for ?? reason, sale prices don't have it. And household items, cleaners, etc don't.

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ugh, good question. Lots of things go into that decision. As others have said shopping local is very, very important but when our local proprietor couldn't compete with the price we needed on our horse food we had to go to the neighboring town to get the exact same thing. We buy very large quantities so even with the extra gas figured in it's still cheaper. For groceries there are some things I will not buy in generics. Simply will not do it because the quality is not there. Other things the generics are made by the same companies that make the name brands so I'm fine with the generic. I don't shop at Wal-mart on general principle but now that there's one close it's just stupid to pay an extra two dollars for hair color or pay the extra gas to go into town to get potting soil when there's a wal-mart right here. Doesn't mean I don't hate myself for going there but I do try to actually get just the things that I would spend a lot extra on if I went to get them elsewhere so I can still use the bulk of my shopping dollars in my own local area.
Ugh, I'm rambling. I need to get back to my canning.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Does price always win?

NO for me. I like certain products/food and just cause they are a tad more expensive doesn't stop me from buying them. Certain items, sure I buy the cheapest cause the quality doesn't matter for that particular item.

On electronics and such, again, I sway more toward quality...cause going cheap on these items isn't worth it if they don't last.

I like Walmart...one thing I sure like about the store is it can be one stop shopping.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I'm rather late on this one.
My shopping habits/views have changed over the past couple years. I used to shop at Walmart exclusively because prices were so much cheaper for groceries than anywhere else.

Now, since I make everything from scratch, I get what I need from the little grocery store in the closest town. They have some things that our Walmart doesn't carry (Zote, washing soda, etc) I'd rather support local businesses rather than drive 70 miles or so round trip to wallyworld.

The local store is geared for people who actually cook. The Walmart here is geared for convenience foods, single serve packs, etc.

Lowest price doesn't always win. Some of the cheap stuff is really low quality, other things are acceptable.

Produce is sky high now. The last time I went to the store, there were all these people just standing around the produce, looking. When I got there, I understood why. I had to stand there and ponder whether I wanted to pay $1.58 for a small (green!) bell pepper or make do with the frozen banana peppers I had at home.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
Funny thing about Wally World....you'd think their prices are the lowest. I went and stocked up on soaps, detergents etc today. They had GV dish soap $1.47 for I think 16 oz. but new Gain dish soap was 1.47 for a 20 oz. bottle. You really have to watch, on things like soaps, they don't often put out the price per ounce as they do in the food section. I dunno why not. Also, laundry deteregent I noticed they had this huge LOOKING bottle that does 96 loads for $11something GV brand, but the Purex 96 loads bottle was only $8something. I looked, BOTH were the same fl. oz. but the GV packaging was just bigger. who do they really thik they are kidding? I tell ya who...people in a hurry. Good thing I have a bit more time to shop and check value. Sad for those who do not. :( Quality AND price, always wins out with me.
Often they (packagers) will use the same bottle (different color but same mold not to be deceptive but to save them money. New molds cost like they are made out of gold. they don't have to change over the packaging line to fill a new bottle and they can use the same Case for shipping. Buyers for supermarkets are often amazed at the savings to be made by using a bottle that the packager is already using for some thing or body else.