Does this freak you out?

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
Ok, so either nobody knows :lol: or it really is the one with the best "take it over my dead body" defenses. In which case, get close enough to my place and I can take out your eye (& your brain) with one silent shot of my bow. Guess the house is mine! :celebrate :weee :ya:bun :bun :bun

Did I mention I love this forum? :love

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
pioneergirl said:
I agree.....but my question is this:

If you owe on your house, and the entire economy collapses, and I mean collapses, who owns the house? You? or a bank/economy/government that doesn't exist?
It would seem to be a matter of degree. If it is only the economy that collapses, then even if your bank fails, someone will attain ownership of the mortgage. It could be just another bank, an investor group, or it could be the Federal Government. The mortgage just doesn't go away under that circumstance. If the economy collapses, I would think that there would be civil unrest and a lot of bad things happening, but that things would tend to gravitate back to some order, and the economy would eventually start to function again with a new currency.

If you are talking about a societal collapse (the Mad Max scenario), then I would have to agree with Wifezilla.

If anyone is interested in why I believe that we are headed to real trouble, an article on the Matterhorn Asset Management site sums up all of the other reading that I have been doing quite well.

SOVEREIGN ALCHEMY WILL FAIL

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
Ok, I know that if my bank goes under, someone else picks things up, thats simple economics. I was referring to the COMPLETE COLLAPSE of any and all ....so I guess that would be similar to the Mad Max scenario. Sorry for not clarifying.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
that was a great article Knoxx, even if written by a gold mover and shaker. I want to get my husband to read it.

We have managed to put away some gold, but not due to our forsight and savings but to that of grandpa's.

But in the end gold may be harder to trade than goods.... I really feel that those who do not have gold or silver should not worry too much. Do try to put away some silver at least but what will really be worth its weight is what you have stored for trade or can trade in service. We need to work on this more.

During the collapse of the thirties my grandparents lost their house. The bank took it when they could not make a payment. They never recovered and died in poverty, but cared for due to family and that measley social security benefit.

On Our own

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Had some one give me the classic "You're so nuts and paranoid that will never happen here" speech yesterday.

I said yeah, that is what they thought in the 20s, that is what they thought in Argentina, Iceland and Greece. People were certain of it in Europe before WWII too.

I give up, but I told him not to come looking for me when he didn't have anything. He said, "Don't look at me after you've blown your money on stupid survival crap and haven't saved anything. Don't expect me to bail your a** out comrade!"

I laughed how he could get that bolluxed up as to think the SS lifestyle was communist baffles me.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Oh my!! :th

I really have a hard time understanding the hostility. I have talked to a few of my friends about the economy in general and brought up inflation possibilities as well as the possibility of a worsening depression.

All but one changed the subject. The one that didn't is a friend I have known for almost 25 years and she is the pantry stocking type naturally. I told her she might want to go through it and completely restock just in case. She said she was already working on it because she sees so many people out of work at her bread store buying the cheapest bread they can with couch cushion change.

She sees the writing on the wall. Many seem to want to deny there is a wall to begin with let alone that there is writing on it :p

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
Oh my!! :th

I really have a hard time understanding the hostility...
My guess would be that thinking about such things takes them out of their "comfort zone". Sorta like the five stages of dealing with a crisis.

1. Denial
2. Anger
3. Bargaining
4. Depression
5. Acceptance

Most people probably sense that something isn't right, but they don't want to think about the possibility. They are on the Titanic, and just want the band to play a little louder, to drown out the sound of the water washing away the deck chairs.