Does this freak you out?

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
This thread will probably be shut down- which since it was a political thread from the beginning should have happened a long time ago.
Again...

Huh?????

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
When I came on to this forum about 6 months or so before the crash of 08 I had absolutely no one to talk to about my concerns about what I thought was about to happen.
Then when the crash happened in Sept this forum was a great assist to me to get moving and start preparing. Still I had no one to talk to about these concerns and my husband was 400 miles away without media or even a decent newspaper to comprehend the immensity of it.

So I am pretty thankful that I had all the opinions found here and to see that my concerns were not fully crazy as many of my coworkers seemed to think. I just couldn't talk with them. But here I found support though some dark hours.

So now we are on our land and we still have quite a ways to go and I am concerned that our house will not get completed in time. I do want room for my two boys to return to us and to the country if their need directs them.
I guess I am paranoid but feel much better being over 100 miles away from the maddening crowd. I am learning a lot from my neighbors who are many years ahead of me in preparation and I find that most people in this neck of the woods are diligently preparing, learning, teaching one another....we all feel it coming.

Right or wrong, it is a healthy lifestyle to be self sufficient.

Even if the economy never crashes as some here think it will, it will certainly for us one way or another as money runs out as we move into old age. There is no way in hell we can continue on till we are 80 unless we get dam resourceful and continue to keep learning to live with a lot lot less and to make more outside of the corporate industrial complex

So If emergency preparedness and discussion of the ecomony is not your thing maybe stick to other threads and let us who need to talk about his stuff talk about it. We are big girls and boys and don't need to be shamed for feeling the need we have to talk about such things.

VT-Chicklit

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Preparing for an upcomming monitary crash is no different than preparing for any other unknown clamity that can befall you. You try to cover as many "bases" as you can see that might be in peril. You have a well stocked BOB, water and food for near term use and the ability to obtain more when they run out (manual well pump, filters, chlorination, seeds, meat on the hoof, etc.), a way to protect yourself and family as well as your preps. In cold climates you also need a way to keep warm. The better you prepare for ANY scenario, the better your chances are if ANY emergency befalls you. It could be long term loss of inciome, power outages, hurricanes, fire, flooding,monitary crash, invasion or some other weird event that rocks your world. Just prepare and be watchful! If nothing ever turns your world upside down, consider yourself blessed.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
VT-Chicklit said:
Preparing for an upcomming monitary crash is no different than preparing for any other unknown clamity that can befall you.
I agree for the most part, but there are some differences. Everyone wanting to be ready for emergencies should look at what they feel would be the most likely calamity to occur and prepare accordingly. While there are a lot of preparations that overlap, there are also some differences.

Personally, I believe that a monetary crash is the single greatest threat at this time (Your Mileage May Vary), and I am preparing specifically for that. Doing so means that I am also doing a lot of stuff that would help me get through many other disasters (food, spare parts, etc.). The difference in my chosen "paranoia" is instead of keeping several months worth of cash put aside, I have now converted a large percentage of it to things that I feel will better preserve that "wealth".

I look at this preparedness no differently than I look at buy fire, or auto insurance. I figure that if I am happily wrong, that the worst that will happen is I'll have some nice stuff to pass on to the kids.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I agree with Mackay....no one that I know in real life believes that we are in for a crash. I enjoy these types of conversations because theya re a good reminder to try to prep for any type of emergency and there are always things brought up that I forgot.

Financially, we have had a really rough couple of years. I am no where near as prepped as I should be. These threads help me keep it in mind, even when I can't buy much to set back, I try.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
is instead of keeping several months worth of cash put aside, I have now converted a large percentage of it to things that I feel will better preserve that "wealth".
Smart!

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Dace said:
I agree with Mackay....no one that I know in real life believes that we are in for a crash.
Very few of the people that I know believe that it won't happen. We're seeing the EU in deep trouble, and the likely destruction of the Euro, as more countries start to go insolvent. The falling Euro is the only thing that is causing the dollar to rise at the moment (which, by the way, is creating a buying opportunity for metals), but that will change in the not too distant future as the US is actually in worse shape than many of the EU counties.

I believe that the US is entering a Debt Spiral: a situation in which it must issue more and more debt (while rolling over trillions of old debt) at the very time that fewer and fewer investors are willing to lend to the US for any lengthy period of time.

Dace said:
I am no where near as prepped as I should be.
I doubt that many of us are. :( However, we are a lot more prepared than 98% of the general public. I read an article recently about how, due to the school snow days in the northeast states, many kids don't have enough to eat. It's a shame how many people in the large cities have so little food on hand that they can't even feed their children if there's no school that day. Can you imagine what these people would do in a real crisis? I can't (ok, I can, but I don't want to).

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
k0xxx said:
It's a shame how many people in the large cities have so little food on hand that they can't even feed their children if there's no school that day. Can you imagine what these people would do in a real crisis? I can't (ok, I can, but I don't want to).
I can imagine exactly what I would do if I had two little cherub faces starring at me asking for food that I didn't have.

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
I agree.....but my question is this:

If you owe on your house, and the entire economy collapses, and I mean collapses, who owns the house? You? or a bank/economy/government that doesn't exist?