Does this freak you out?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I have found that to be true of most folks when a discussion is raised about subjects that frighten them~death, religion, food shortages, health issues, etc.

There are certain types of people, when faced with an upcoming crisis, will attempt to prepare for it~making a will, developing a relationship with God or whatever they deem is their spiritual safety, taking proactive steps to improve their health, preparing their family and themselves for all the various aspects of the crisis.

Then there are those who have a different set of coping mechanisms~ineffectual in a real crisis situation~but which tends to keep them from open fear in the face of a perceived danger.

These are the folks who haven't gotten past the denial and anger stage and are using these to drown out the words of those who have reached acceptance and self-actualization.

When said crisis occurs, these folks usually move into the bargaining stage...sadly, they have nothing with which to bargain if the crisis is indeed a national or global crisis. Their coping mechanisms are immature and not up to the challenge of dealing with an actual emergency.

Sadly, more and more folks are of the latter type...at least in my neck of the woods. Everyone wants to go to Heaven, but nobody wants to die..... :rolleyes:

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have been sending the articles from this thread to my family. They have been in denial about this and think we are "cute" in preparing. Their prep is to "just come to your house." We made it clear to them that we can't prepare for everyone in the family. I think that the articles are finally getting through because they are FINALLY starting to do some stocking. I keep telling them that if nothing happens, then they have a good food stock and can give themselves a break on grocery shopping or something.

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
I refuse to discuss it with my in-laws. They thought it was 'cute" when I was canning food from the garden, despite the fact that my MIL canned for a long time. And by that same token, its always "Oh Jen, can you bring a jar of that sweet corn and a jar of your applebutter?" Um, since when are my stocks for your pleasure? They also thought I was a nutjob for raising meat birds, but wanted a roaster for 4th of July. They were the first ones running to my house for eggs. ugh :barnie So, I don't bring it up.

Its like Bee said, everyone wants to go to heaven but nobody wants to die....that is my MIL. All of the DH's siblings are the same. "Oh you know Jen, always dirty from the garden or messing with those darn animals!" :duc I told DH, don't expect me to take care of them for free...they come to our house, they WORK for their meals! He just sat there in silence, so I'm real curious how things will go at my house should SHTF and they all come rushing over. hmph...... :somad

THEFAN

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
What a surprise. I have been planning and getting ready pretty steady for 2yrs now. No debt, all but the house now.

Worked on getting out of debt first. At the same time got the garden, animals and woodstove put in. Now we are ugrading and stocking heavy.

The internet is great but a library will serve better in a What if.

Personally I think America is far from out of the dark. Things are unfolding and I pray we wake up and stop the intidalment mentality.

God bless and good luck everyone. :)