Does your garden ACTUALLY save you $ ?

dipence71

Got the t-shirt
Reaction score
My DH has for yrs told me I was nuts, crazy, whatever because of MY garden. BUT even through all the nagging and gripping he sure likes to eat. And I think he has finally given up on me and now wants my garden stuff. Even if I let the weeds get out of control due to injuries, such as wrecking my motorcycle last yr and dislocating my shoulder and road rash from shoulder to wrist but I was still out there weeding one armed lol, mother falling and breaking her hipthis yr and the hospital saying no it isnt broke oh wait yes it is(the nxt day) and then getting it fixed and back to the nursing home only to fall out of bed the nxt morning again because they forgot the alarm(she has alzhiemers) massive rains, flooded out crops, ect ect. Life happens everyday, good and bad, and you have to decide what you are going to pour yourself into, good or bad.

I personally LOVE gardening even though some days I hate it, JK LOL. But be it sunburnt, blistering, blisters on hands, back hurting, feet, pounding, knees aching, bruised all over from the rototiller, and can lay on my back due to the strap rubbing an area raw on my back, ect,ect, I wouldn't change a thing.
I remember working out in the garden with my dad as a little girl and I wish to install that in my daughters, although the oldest DD18 will not go outside unless it is to layout or get into her car lol. The youngest DD12 loves to work out in the garden and chicken care and rabbit care.

Back to DH thing,... when I opened my last jar of fresh canned green beans this winter and announced it as such the first thing he said was "you arent serious?" the second was "guess you'll have to plant more next year so we don't run out again." Oh and for Mothers day last year he bought me the rototiller LMAO, All I could do is smile and tell myself (in my own head of course) "TOLD YOU SO NEENNER NEENER YOU AND ALL THE GARDEN HATING CRAP HEHEHEHE"

And that first fresh fried zucchini that I ate tonight YUUMMMYYY....
All the spring mix type lettuce I planted and have had a bumper crop of this yr that would costs $4.99 or more for a small bag that I don't have to go buy and cry when it goes bad because the kids didn't store it right. And I laugh because I am feeding that much every few days to my rabbits and chickens that I would never be able to do that if I had to buy it.

So all in all:
Seed cost $
Gas cost $
Driving to the store to buy veggies, fruit cost more $$
Organic cost 10x $$$
Gym Membership that you don't use cost way too much $$
BUT the chance to neener neener someone(still makes me giggle) and teach your kid about gardening, animals, ect: PRICELESS

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
BUT the chance to neener neener someone(still makes me giggle) and teach your kid about gardening, animals, ect: PRICELESS

I LOVE THIS!!!! This goes in line with my "told ya so" happy dance! :bun :bun :weee

You are sooo right....the blisters, bleeding hands, raw knees, aching muscles, sunburnt skin......its all totally worth it, and I wouldn't do it any other way!!!

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
pioneergirl said:

I LOVE THIS!!!! This goes in line with my "told ya so" happy dance! :bun :bun :weee

You are sooo right....the blisters, bleeding hands, raw knees, aching muscles, sunburnt skin......its all totally worth it, and I wouldn't do it any other way!!!
I totally agree with Pioneer girl on this one. :thumbsup

It seems to me that just a few minor amenities should eliminate all those pains and aches encountered by gardening :he

As long as we haven't seen TSHTF yet, maybe now that your family has begun to reap and enjoy the benefits of your hard work, they might just spring a few bucks to get you some of the more recent stuff that makes gardening a little easier.

I have this dandy weeding tool made by an old man. It is two blades from a sickle mower welded together and put on the end of a long handle. You just push it back and forth under the soil and cut off the weeds below the surface. Saves a lot of time and back work, too. Can be done standing up...which for an old guy like me is always worth the effort. Then again there are some fabulous high tech foam pads for kneeling...I like them too. I got a great little seat that has 4 wheels under it. Makes tending down low a much more pleasant experience.

Like I said, if they really like what you produce in the garden they may be motivated to give you a "gift" that will make your life easier...or just lend a hand a little more often...that is always welcome in my book!
Best
Trim

Rebbetzin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Here in the desert, my garden is a HOBBY, an expensive Hobby. I can a tiny bit of stuff, dehydrate some things. Mostly use the canned/dehyrated things for gifts during the year.

I can buy the best organic produce for much less than it costs to grow it myself here.

But... one has to have some fun in life. I consider at times how much we could save if I did a "desert landscape" in the yard.

It is much to sad to think about!! I LOVE GREEN and FLOWERS!!

dipence71

Got the t-shirt
Reaction score
Just think of it this way:
Instead of flowers that are only pretty I can eat what I plant.
And I just replanted $1.75 worth of green beans and man that is allot of beans for a little cash.
Sooo if I ONLY get 1 good mess of beans it is still a profit in my book.
I don't count all the "work" going into them I just call it my "outdoor gym" workout, and "outdoor"tanning booth, my own personal dirt/mud bath, ect ect LMAO.... :th

wrybread

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
This is my first year with a garden and it certainly isn't going to come any where near paying for itself because
THE DEER ATE EVERYTHING!!!!!!!

:hit

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
If you eat venison the garden will still pay for itself. If you don't - you need a really good fence around your garden.
Many men use the animals method of marking their territory to keep animals away. Male pee is supposed to work better, but some women still use theirs. Animals tend to mark fence posts, trees, etc. so a pattern like that is probably more convincing.

rty007

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
A decent hunting rifle and a HUGE freezer is THE best money saver in a deer-problem department ;)

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Not sure who will disagree with this one but I have about 8 cats and as a result, I have no deer problem. Of course, any deer who gets over the 5 foot fence to my garden will be considered a trespasser and the garden is posted that "trespassers will be shot" so maybe the sign works better than the cats!:celebrate