Does your garden ACTUALLY save you $ ?

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My garden absolutely saved me money this year.

I didn't measure it. Let's just say it's small. It was going to be four small raised beds and I merged them into one. I planted around 40 tomato plants, 16 peppers (bell, jalepeno, and habanero), and 11 strawberry plants.

The strawberry plants cost the most ($7) and were a total loss. I spent a total of $21.50 on all the other plants (including a bunch that never made it into the garden, like my heritage tomatoes that died). Most of them were 6-cell starters from Wal-Mart that I bought for $1.50, later for $1.

I spent $3 on pots at the dollar store to size up my heritage tomatoes before planting them out. I spent $10 on a bottle of BT to spray for hornworms. And whatever gas went into the tiller. Probably less than $3.

So total cost was $44.50? I could knock most of that off if I didn't buy the heritage tomatoes or strawberries, which produced zero for me. But how can you know in advance? I plan to try them both again next year.

I dug soil from the old barn floor, which was probably highly organic-type (meaning decomposed manure of some sort). And I have a compost pile going which will continue to provide. I have LOTS of animal poop LOL. There were pieces of fencing and cut down hog panels lying around that I used for support stakes, along with extra t-posts. I was lucky I guess to have useable "junk" on the premesis. I used a roll of old plant tie tape I found lying around. It wasn't too pretty at first but the plants cover it. I will probably work out something more permanent next year, but all this can be reused. I even use recycled water from the goose pond to water everyday. Which does use electricity in a pump for a minute to pump out but I like that better than toting all that water. If I had a long enough spare hose I could do 90% of it via siphon. That waters and fertilizes

I thought I should get an idea of how much produce I got, but I have never weighed it. I have put up dozens of bags on frozen cooked tomatoes though, and I'm sure I was getting over ten pounds many days, and over 20 for a while. Fewer peppers, but as many as I will need for a year anyway. And I would have bought tomatoes, for sure. At only 99 cents a pound, which I almost never find, I'd need only 45 pounds to break even.

Oh. I did buy the freezer bags at Costco. But if I'd get brave enough to actually CAN them, which I really do intend to do, I have enough jars to put up a few dozen at least. The freezer bags were only a couple dollars cuz I bought a large 4-pack. The quart bags were essentially free, given what I pay for gallons normally.

I'd like to know what the garden did for me financially, but I KNOW I'm ahead. Now, this morning I was trying to figure out if my herdqueen doe, who is most susceptible to worms, has tiny teats, is worth keeping just for crossbred kids she might produce if I decide she's still too much trouble to milk with her 2nd freshening next year. I can't charge much for the doelings with her tiny teats, though she produces well. I eat goat meat, but I have yet to actually butcher a buckling I've raised.

deb4o

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
SA--I would say your garden absolutely saved you money. Great use of all the items you re-cycled.

i love the using of the goose water idea.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
You know, strawberry plants produce in their second and third years. So don't rip out those strawberries yet.