Does your garden ACTUALLY save you $ ?

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I've been estimating how much we've spent on the garden this year. I can't see how it can possibly pay for itself!

It is 10 x 25. We had to fence it in. Plus fence to support peas and beans. Seeds, fertilizer. Containers, potting soils, plants.

Granted, the potting soil, containers, and fence will be used in the future...

Does your garden save you $ ? How big is it and how long have you had it?

How much do you spend on it and how much do you get out of it?

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We work about 1/2 acre in 3 gardens and sell at Farmers' market, so yes, ours does make us money. We made almost $6,000 one year. Last year, not so much, because our market has more vendors selling the same kinds of things. Your start up costs are always high - after that $$'s are mostly for seeds, fertilizer, etc. If you get a good compost going, you won't spend so much on plant food.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
3 years go I moved my raised beds into the yard. There were three 4 x 8 boxes with wire on the bottom. Last fall I expanded and added 3 more 4 x 12 foot boxed. The cost of lumber was a bit expensive, we used redwood. But last spring and summer I barely had to buy any veggies. We canned tomato products as well as some carrots and green beans. I think the investment in hard scape pays for it self in no time flat. And the piece of mind in the quality and chemical free foods is worth it's weight in gold.

This year the only things I have bought are my heirlooms seeds. At a cost of about 25 bucks. I just got a free load of composted manure. So I think it just takes a bit of time for you to see the return.

gina

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Our actual in ground garden is 40 x 40. We also have 9 raised beds, each one is 4 x 8 and 3ft deep. I compost our leaves, grass clippings and kitchen scraps and and till it in every spring. Over the years, I have added composted horse manure(free for the hauling!) lime, left over masons sand(free) wood ashes(free) from my neighbors wood furnace, and old rotten straw(also free). We NEVER use any fertilizer or pesticides.
We don't have to fence our whole garden in, just the section we plant the sweet potatoes in(damn rabbits!)and we reuse that fence every year. A trellis for the peas and cuke's, is a couple of old chain link fence gates(free). Our tomato cages I built using concrete reinforcing wire(NOT free!) but the cages last forever!
We do purchase some plants and seeds, but the knowledge of where and how our food is grown, stored and prepared, is priceless!!

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
Absolutely!! I spent $50 on seeds this year....I don't use fertilizer, this is my second year having it, and its even bigger this year. 60 x 100. I'm still eating veggies I canned from the last garden, and it has probably cut my grocery bill in half, if not more. I've made ketchup, pasta sauce, stewed tomatoes for stews, plus the other veggies for stuff. I have compost, and super good soil naturally, so I don't need potting soil, fertilizer, or other things. I used recycled fence, so that wasn't an issue either.

tamlynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I think ours does. And by "garden" I mean every edible plant and fruit tree in my yard, not just the veggies. There can be a high start-up cost depending on what you do, but over time you will definitely get your money back. Plus there are the intangible benefits of hard work, patience, perserverance, etc. :D

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
I don't keep track but I am pretty sure I am way in the hole as far as money goes. Especially if you count all the canning jars I bought last year. But, on the up side. There is nothing like that early morning stroll through the yard with your first cup of coffee, checking the garden and actually seeing that the carrots are bigger this morning than they were the day before, or the cabbage plants have started to head up, and oh... those english peas have put on runners, and look, the corn is coming up.
How do you put a price on that?
And all that hard work that makes you so tired you promise yourself next year you won't have a garden. Then at the first sign of spring you are off and running, looking for that first seed to poke its little head out of the dirt.
Of course we always over do. One garden spot is about 10 x 12, then we added 2 more 3 x 6 raised beds for a total of 4. Then there is about 1/2 acre plot down the hill.
We don't sell anything. Any extra is given away to friends, neighbors or those in need.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Estimate the cost of hundreds of jars of organically grown foods, along with the cost of all the fresh organic produce and then compare that with the organic food prices at your local grocery store or farmer's market. I think you will find that you are coming out wayyyyyyyyy on top of the profit margin.

Jars and fences are one time expenses, as are much of your seeds if you choose to save your own seeds. Composting on your own garden can be cheap or costly, depending on how much initiative one takes to scrounge composting materials.

Some of us use our gardens for multiple purposes, like growing feed for stock, as a rotation in our grazing system when the garden is done and again when the winter cover crop has grown. I will be using plastic tunnels this year to keep me in romaine lettuce, spinach and any other cool crop green I can plant.

The exercise, healthy foods, sunshine and the joy of growing things for your family and for others is priceless! You really cannot buy that one anywhere.... :)

Iceblink

Maa Maa Mama
Reaction score
Nope. In a few years it might, but that's pretty far down the road. I am including the cost of rototilling, fencing, a few tools, seeds, and canning jars. I figure each pint of green beans I canned last summer costs about $3. And that isn't including the cost of gas and electricity for canning. I could definitely buy a comparable can of beans for cheaper.

However, I did learn a lot, I saved lots of seeds, and I have the satisfaction of knowing where my food came from. I think that pretty much stays true for all my SS endeavors. They don't make or save me $, but they are worth it for personal reasons.

My garden is 40' by 60' with an additional 6 raised beds that are 4' by 20'.