Dog eating chickens

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Your only other option is to give up free ranging your chickens. OR: What about putting up an electric fence around a large area of your property. Large enough that the chickens wouldn't wander outside that range?

My dog is on an electronic collar. It works well as long as I monitor to be sure the built in battery is kept re-charged. No buried wires. It works on radio signals. They are not cheap. But, if your neighbor loves his dog, he needs to solve his problem. Perhaps he needs to rehome the dog and get a little fi-fi dog.

shoot. fence between dog and chickens. rehome. I don't see any other options here. Unless you want to give up your flock. I don't see that as being a valid option at all. :idunno

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I would not allow a dog to roam free. That husky needs to be tied up at home or only allowed to run free when it is being supervised.

Never leave a dog unsupervised with a muzzle on. It would be so easy for the muzzle to catch on something - loose wire on a fence, tree branch, a nail, whatever. Just asking for the dog to get hurt.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Huskies are hard to keep home. I know, I had one. She was smart enough to know when I was getting home at night and always put herself back into the yard.
Electric fences are hard with Huskies because of their double coat. M Husky could lay down on the electric fence and not get shocked. I placed it about 6" high though, to keep her from digging out. Her lower legs, feet and nose were all susceptible to electric zaps though.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
@tortoise Thanks for the advice on skunk smell. I am hoping to never have to use it, but I live in the country and I have farm dogs...
YW! I hope you don't need it too! My mini poodle (RIP) got skunked once. Not fun.

There's a recipe for peroxide / baking soda / dawn shampoo for skunk smell. It works better than any purchased product. Apply directly, don't wet the dog first. Be extremely careful around eyes - it won't just sting - it will cause corneal ulcer. And the hydrogen peroxide bubbling will make the solution "travel" further than you'd expect.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I'm glad to hear the neighbor is working with you on this problem. Good luck!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That's tough. The dog is a victim of his breed... super strong predator drive. I know you don't want to kill him... :( Maybe buy the dog a muzzle...or go ahead and SSS and go adopt a poodle for the neighbor.

If you were home all day and could watch the dog and the chickens - a shock collar might help. But some dogs are smart enough to know that the shock comes from the person holding the trigger. Tough situation - hope you find the best answer.

Latest posts