Dog eating chickens

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
A muzzle. Didnt think of that.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Gosh, that is a dilemma. A muzzle sounds like it may be a solution. Otherwise an invisible fence to make sure he stays on his own yard? But then you'll have to make sure your chickens do the same and the old man may not be keen to go to those lengths just for some chickens. I hope you can get this sorted!

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
What NH said. He's not such a nice old man if he allows his dog to roam and to repeatedly kill your chickens. If the neighbor can't keep his dog on his own property, then, you are left with no choice but to defend your chickens, or call ACO and let them handle it. I have a feeling that you'd rather handle it yourself than bring a third party in. Have you asked the neighbor what he intends to DO to SOLVE HIS problem????

He apologizes and pays me for the chickens. Im tellin ya, hes a good guy and the dog is a good dog, good with kids, loves people. He just likes eating chickens.

If it was a crappy dog or the owner was a douche id have no problem shooting it.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
A gal out here had a similar problem. She took 2 or 3 fence panels, hooked them end to end with small caribeaners to make a round pen that she could move/drag around a bit. She used a small dog house with straw for a nesting box. A new covered litter box would work well if you wanted to spend some money. Food/water, they're good. I think she had 8 - 10 chickens. I helped her drag a bit one time, but she said she could manage it by herself as she didn't have to move it daily. Her birds were used to getting treats to get them into the ring, then more treats to get them to the run in the evening. It worked well enough for her for as long as she needed it.
Unless the dog jumps the fence. Our huskys didn't.
One of our boxers ate chickens. Once they get a taste of that, it's pretty hard to break 'em, I bet.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
A wire basket is an option, but you know the one day the owner forgets to put it on, that dog is going to go chicken hunting. :/ tough situation. If the dog is old, I'd stop free ranging and hope the dog dies sooner rather than later?

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
leerburg.com has best selection of muzzles in the USA. They're imported. In sizes you'll never find here.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I guess im just gonna keep the chickens locked up unless i can be out there with em.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
is your neighbor physically able to put up a fence? You could offer? Tell him that fence would cost less than buying chickens? IDK

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
That dog running loose is going to get into more trouble than just eating your chickens.
My Husky took off on me one weekend. I let her and my 8 month old "pup" out of the fenced yard to go for a walk and I ran into the house for a second or two and poof! they were gone. She came back with a really strong skunk odor - and yellow stained fur two days later. The pup came home about 2 weeks later, I am guessing that he found . I never did get all the skunk stink out of her double coat - every time she got wet she smelled like skunk. That lasted until she shed her summer coat out for winter.
Maybe get some skunk scent that hunters use and put a dab or 2 on the neighbors dog. He may decide to use a tie-out for it then.
Brilliant idea!!!!!! :love

Latest posts