Dog eating chickens

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
The neighbor's dog is a husky. Super sweet dog. Good with the kids. Comes over all the time. But he has a habit of killing my chickens. Got the nieghbor over and we took him in the coop. Whipped him for chasing chickens. Hadnt had an issue for weeks with him. Tonight i found him eating a chicken. He devoured it.

So i caught the dog, whipped him, whipped him with what was left of the chicken and told him go home.

Idk what to do here. Hes a good dog but his instinct to hunt is super strong. And the bastard is smart enough to wait until noone is watching. I think im gonna have to kill the dog. Its a shame hes a good dog but idk what else to do. None of us have fences out here.

Idk the old man is a widower and all alone except for the dog. I cant kill the dang thing. But i need to do something to break him of it.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That's tough. The dog is a victim of his breed... super strong predator drive. I know you don't want to kill him... :( Maybe buy the dog a muzzle...or go ahead and SSS and go adopt a poodle for the neighbor.

If you were home all day and could watch the dog and the chickens - a shock collar might help. But some dogs are smart enough to know that the shock comes from the person holding the trigger. Tough situation - hope you find the best answer.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
A muzzle. Didnt think of that.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Gosh, that is a dilemma. A muzzle sounds like it may be a solution. Otherwise an invisible fence to make sure he stays on his own yard? But then you'll have to make sure your chickens do the same and the old man may not be keen to go to those lengths just for some chickens. I hope you can get this sorted!

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
What NH said. He's not such a nice old man if he allows his dog to roam and to repeatedly kill your chickens. If the neighbor can't keep his dog on his own property, then, you are left with no choice but to defend your chickens, or call ACO and let them handle it. I have a feeling that you'd rather handle it yourself than bring a third party in. Have you asked the neighbor what he intends to DO to SOLVE HIS problem????

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
What NH said. He's not such a nice old man if he allows his dog to roam and to repeatedly kill your chickens. If the neighbor can't keep his dog on his own property, then, you are left with no choice but to defend your chickens, or call ACO and let them handle it. I have a feeling that you'd rather handle it yourself than bring a third party in. Have you asked the neighbor what he intends to DO to SOLVE HIS problem????

He apologizes and pays me for the chickens. Im tellin ya, hes a good guy and the dog is a good dog, good with kids, loves people. He just likes eating chickens.

If it was a crappy dog or the owner was a douche id have no problem shooting it.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Your only other option is to give up free ranging your chickens. OR: What about putting up an electric fence around a large area of your property. Large enough that the chickens wouldn't wander outside that range?

My dog is on an electronic collar. It works well as long as I monitor to be sure the built in battery is kept re-charged. No buried wires. It works on radio signals. They are not cheap. But, if your neighbor loves his dog, he needs to solve his problem. Perhaps he needs to rehome the dog and get a little fi-fi dog.

shoot. fence between dog and chickens. rehome. I don't see any other options here. Unless you want to give up your flock. I don't see that as being a valid option at all. :idunno

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Good fences make for good neighbors. If you free range your chickens and if they are truly worth it to you, you might need to invest in electronetting and a solar charger so you can move them around in safety. Even black bears won't brave that netting...YT vids show how well it works on them.

If coop and run it gets much more simple...a good hot wire at two levels to prevent entry and he'll be on the run super quick.

Whipping him after the fact does absolutely NOTHING. Most dogs cannot connect punishment with an act that happened more than even 30 min. previously. All he knows is that now he has to come to your place and eat chickens whenever you aren't around as he gets a beating every time you and the chickens are in the same place.

Good dog or not, he's eating your good money, time and your food supply.

The old man isn't very nice, as was mentioned above, if he abuses his neighbors in this way....he's taking advantage because of his age. If he's aware enough to have a dog, he's aware enough to keep it home.