dog shampoo

hoosier girl

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Does anyone have a suggestion about what I can use to bathe my dog with? I use a medicated dog shampoo which I purchase at Walmart that is suppose to stop itching. It still dries her skin out and she ends up scratching like crazy for several days after I give her a bath.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
That would lead me to believe that not all of the shampoo is being rinsed off. If she has chronic dry skin, you could try adding raw egg to her food, or my vet said oil or bacon fat to give extra fat to her diet. Also --less baths. this would dry her skin up alot if she has lots of baths.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I agree with TheNorth on the too many baths.

You could also try rubbing some baby oil in close to the skin after a bath, if she is not producing enough of her own oils. Maybe supplementing her diet with some fish oil tablets. Some of those medicated shampoos have menthols in them, which kind of work like an astringent, drying up their natural oils. Good ol' Ivory soap, with a good rinse, is gentle and won't hurt their skin.

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
To keep our dog's coats shiny and slick, we give them a big plate full of scrambled eggs once a week.

Ya know, when my chickens start laying, my pets will be making my other pet's breakfast. :lol:

Redfeathers

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
There are some good Oatmeal shampoos for dogs available, they are great for dry skin. I also give my dogs a raw egg every other day. If one of my show dogs get dry skin I use Show Stopper supliment or I add fish oil or olive oil to his food. The extra fats really do help with the dry skin issues.

heatherv

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I use baby shampoo! Mostly b/c I already have it on hand. It's gentle, and I rinse and rinse and rinse to make sure it's all out.

hoosier girl

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Thanks for all the great tips. I only bathe her about 4 times a year, so don't think too many baths is the cause of the problem. I will definetly try the egg tip, she will love that! I had not thought about adding oil/fats to her diet, but that makes sense. I've thought about using baby shampoo, but I wonder if it would be effective on the dog smell ???

heatherv

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
hoosier girl said:
I've thought about using baby shampoo, but I wonder if it would be effective on the dog smell ???
To me, a wet dog smells like a wet dog! LOL! If they're stinky from being dirty (or rollig in something dead <gag>) then the shampoo will just wash out whatever dirt/smells... but then once rinsed they still smell like a wet dog.. w/ just a hint of the scent of the shampoo. Though all I really smell is a wet dog when i'm done!

I just took a whiff of my shadow's head and smells like a dog! (he had a bath a few days ago) Doesn't smell stinky, and doesn't smell perfumey!

Guess I'm not much help afterall! :lol: