dog shampoo

krjwaj

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We just use regular shampoo. Actually now we using up free shampoo that I got off Freecycle. Bosch smells like grapes!!

hensdeliverthegoods

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
A tip from your friendly vet tech here - If you use a spot treatment for fleas/ticks like Advantage or Frontline, make sure you bathe with a soap-free shampoo, or the flea product will be washed off. :)

hensdeliverthegoods

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I'm sorry, I should have clarified. Soap-free shampoo contains cleaners that are not detergent in orgin. Most vets and pet supply stores will have them, just check the labels. If you only need to bathe your pet once a month, bathe them just prior to applying their flea product. Just make sure they're dry first for the most effectiveness.

Hope that clears it up! :)

Janet&Jim

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
That would lead me to believe that not all of the shampoo is being rinsed off. If she has chronic dry skin, you could try adding raw egg to her food, or my vet said oil or bacon fat to give extra fat to her diet. Also --less baths. this would dry her skin up alot if she has lots of baths.
Yep, what thenorth said about the egg. One raw egg a week(specialy in the winter)and once er twice week, a schpritz o' cheap vegetable oil on the food. The veggy oil works wonders for hot spots also ( an area o' yer dogs body that it licks or chews on excessively). clears 'em right up.
NOTE: adding the eggs and or the veggy oil may loosen the dogs stools, not to worry, it will adjust.

redhen

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
if you want to get rid of the dog smell..you can try adding baking soda to her shampoo..i think it will help out....Wendy

charmed one

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Hoosier girl, I was told a long time ago to use Skin So Soft shampoo on our dog. It works good ...it smells good...It keeps his skin from itching and also helps repel fleas and ticks too. Try it :celebrate

hoosier girl

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
charmed one said:
Hoosier girl, I was told a long time ago to use Skin So Soft shampoo on our dog. It works good ...it smells good...It keeps his skin from itching and also helps repel fleas and ticks too. Try it :celebrate
Charmed One,
I would have never thought about skin so soft. I will give that a try and see if that helps. I've been using the tips from everybody about the egg and adding a little oil to Boo's food. She loves it, but it's not made much of a difference for her. Thanks

kristenm1975

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hello! I found a great dog shampoo idea in a natural health book and tried it with my chihuahua with satisfying results.

It's just castille soap (as another poster already suggested) with essential oils added. They recommended adding eucalyptus essential oil for its flea-repellent properties and I also put in some rose, lavender and sandalwood for the heck of it. Seems to be working, and my little dog smells wonderful. :)

Rather than putting the soap directly on the dog, I added a generous amount to her bath water. It would probably work to just put it on the dog, but not having tried it before, I wanted to be sure it didn't bother her. The one caution is that its especially important to not get any in the dog's eyes.

greyhorsewoman

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
ManeNTail is a good basic shampoo, inexpensive, and easily available. I always mix my shampoo up in a big jug or pitcher with lots of water ... easier to spread over the whole dog.

Another quick therapy for hot spots is 'powdered anti-perspirant' or 'fungal foot powder.' We used to have regular blowouts with hot spots when we lived in the south, and these dried up and stopped the itchey before things got out of hand.

Make your water lukewarm too ... too warm promotes shedding. (Unless that is your goal!) I just use hose water in warmer months.