Doing sales?

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
IF you boys have to price things then just price the big stuff and have a BIG sign make me an offer. Thing is I have often had people offer me far more than I expected for something. If it is priced wrong they might walk.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Many of my best collectible finds were marked with a price that reflected the seller had no idea what he/she was doing. It's a toss up. If you are at the end of your rope with all the preparations and can't see your way clear to figure out prices by yourself, then you gotta do what you gotta do.

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
I would display plenty of stuff "yard sale style", outside with arrows leading in to see the rest of the sale. People looking for a sale want to be able to see stuff while they are driving up. Tupperware and similar bright colored, stuff can catch the eye and draw people in.
You might put a welcome sign where it's obvious also. Little touches count and can put people in the mood to linger and look at more goodies.
I like the idea of a big sign that said general prices on categories of things. Say prices are negotiable on there, too. A few "Make Offer" signs scattered around can help people speak up too.
Afghans can be priced by size. Maybe you could you hang a dowel, or even a rope like a laundry line to display some on? Putting them on hangers on a rolling garment rack also works. Or hang the hanger on a nail or cuphook in the wall even.
Knit sets could be priced by how many pieces are in the set maybe. The safety pins will work for those sets.

Arrows of masking tape on the ground leading to the basement could be an obvious clue to look inside. I filled cardboard boxes of books with the titles showing and set them near the door- so I could run them in if it started to rain. They sold well that way. Expensive books could go to a used book store - then sell the others really cheap.
You might see if there is an auction around that handles estate sales too. They know values on items that are more valuable or collectible. Anything left over after the sale day, could have a 2nd chance at making you some $ that way.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Do all u can to price items
If u don't u will be working with someone else, everyone will be calling to u "how much is this" and boy u will be swamped trying to rack ur brain for a price last minute

also I am the type that walks away without seeing prices listed I don't have time to ask what is the price of every item I am interested in

u can group tables into "everything on this table $1.00"
or "everything in this area $2.00" and so on keeps ya from prices each item individually

just how I shop lol hope u do well sounds like a huge task

Jaxom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I really wish I lived in a better location. Of course it'd help if I had help too. This totally urban. Houses are crammed in together like sardines in a can. My postage stamp back yard is only 25'x25'. The biggest issue, perhaps I had something telling me I was going to end up doing this all by myself...yet again I was sappose to have some help during the days of the sale by both best friend and fiance. Niether of which can I count on.

I hate saying this, but unless I have some sort of flow control over people coming and going, let's just say if I'm not on top of things, amazing how quickly items grow feet and walk away unpaid for.

I do have certain things lined up like this. I've a book dealer that was sappose to come take a look at what I had last week, but then I got flooded. Had to cancel. Now that things are dry again, I can call and rebook (pardon the pun) him coming over again. Any books that either the dealer doesn't buy or get sold in the during the sale, I've a used book store to sell the rest off to. So that's pretty much taken care of.

For whatever is left over, I was thinking along the lines of placing a second ad in craigslist. This one some how geared towards the ebayer or fleamarketer. This second ad would be for a "lot" of everything that's left over. If there's any big ticket items of course I can pull those off to the side and sell them individually.

I've already researched the consignment shops in the area. Sadly these second hand stores are all tied to some sort of charity or another, and your items are conicdered a donation of sorts, for which I will recieve nothing in return except a "thank you". Think of these places more like posh versions of goodwill or salvation army. If i was working or not really needing the cash, I'd be more then happy to contribute, but that's not the case.

I like the idea of the safety pins. For the knitted items. It's cheap (wont break the bank) and solves the issue. Most of the stuff mom made was geared towards young children. The largest items being Christening sets. (Dress, cap, booties, blanket) For these I could use wire ties threaded through the material, and it won't harm them in any way. What about semi finished projects that my mother or grand mother never completed. I've found on several occations a box with matching yard, and perhaps an item that's started with a neeedle or hook stuck through it. Unfortunillly I can't always guarentee there's a pattern in with the supplies. If it can be sold as "set" rather then seperating any unopened yarn from the project, I think I'd make more, but how do you ask a decent price for something not complete?

Pricing. Part of my struggles, that have "can't see a way clear to figure out prices by myself" is some of the stuff I have no idea of the value. Quite a bit of what I'm selling I counting on sheer volume to make money on. Prime example is all the books, my cd and video collecitons, tupperware ect.

Then there's stuff like knick knacks. My mother worked for a Japanese company for nearly 30 years. Most of her bosses were Japanese, and it was tradition for them to bring back a gift everytime they came back from Japan. Some, eh, cheap stuff bought at airport gift shop, don't expect much from that, but some, WOW! Some of the stuff is beautiful. Examples are a husband and wife chop stick set. Bother chop pairs of chop sticks are black enamel paint with pearl inlay, and come with a box with more pearl inlay. Another is a Japanese lunch box, again black enamal with hand painted design and pearl inlay.

Another gift my mother reciceve along the lines was a Tiffany and Co brass desk clock. I've tried like heck to research this thing. Can't find anything like it on their website. Even called New York to see if there's anyway to identify it, but they wanted a $100 research fee that I can't afford. I do know that it uses the same quartz movement that Tiffany's uses. These clocks sell for $250-$500.

My mother really didn't care for alot of knick knacks. Or as she would call them "dust collectors". But my grand mother was. Over the year both before and after my grandfather passing away, my grand mother travelled alot. And everywhere she went, she bought these miniture 3-4" wide china saucer and tea cup sets. I've probably a half dozen or so of these.

Honestly, besides...the two area's I have the most questions or issues about pricing are actually the crafts and supplies, and my mom's/her mom's knick knack collections. Mom actually bought a quilting frame. Had me assemble it, then we took it apart, we then moved to this house and she never used set it up again, let alone used it. Last year she also bought several needle point frames. One for lap, one for floor sized one an a desk sized one. I know for a fact she paid around $200 for all three of these and never used them. Not that I expect to get that much for them, I just know they're brand new and all.

Ya know, I've been wanting to ask, I know these are cheap, and concidering the volume of items I have. What about buying a cheap price gun from Office Max and pricing stuff with that? Would sure beat using dots and hand writing prices out like fiance and I have done at past garage sales.

Question on advertising. So far I've planned to have an ad on Estate Sales.net. This will cost me $50, but I'm allowed up to 40 pictures of the sale items. Now as far as local papers go, most cost between $30-$45 per ad. And ads are 3-5 lines. Total cost for all local papers would be $150. I'm wondering how I can word ads so I can include the important information like my adress, along with dates and times for sale. But I would also like to include the website link to Estate Sales. net as well. But not take up any extra lines which would cost more to run.

I like the idea of having signs saying "make offer" or "all offers concidered" and "if you have any questions, ASK!" placed about the place. Another one would be "Everything MUST go!" If there's any other signs you think would draw attention, please do let me know!

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Salt and pepper sets are hot collectibles and so are some of those Japanese figurines. Is there an eBay service near you? Around here we have people that will list items for you and then keep a percentage of the sales price.

For some of the more unusual stuff, like the chop sticks, it would be well worth tapping into the global market that eBay provides.

I would do all of the free advertising possible. Is there a huge reason that this has to happen on just one weekend?

Free advertise, signs, Craigslist, grocery store flyers, mention at church, etc. See what sells then and if necessary start placing ads.

Keep sale HOURS and days in mind as well. This part of the world sales usually start on Thurs to Sunday, but a lot of people stop the sale at 4 or 5 pm. We have had great luck with EVENING hours as well and advertise that. We have a city festival that happens by us each year, so we often have a garage sale to coincide. One year we noticed a huge walking crowd around 11 pm when the music events stopped. We brought out the drop lights and blazed up the front yard and the "All Night Garage Sale" was born! When the beer garden closed we always had a sales boom! Several times I had an item priced $1 and someone would say, "Will you take $5 or $10?" Yes I will! I have even had people give me money then tell me they would be back with the car and never return! Probably don't even remember it in the morning!

Very urban just means more people, thus customers, about. Advantage!

Jaxom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yeah, I have to do this asap. One weekend prefered. Got a letter in the mail today, seems bank has filed for foreclosure on the 1st. A quick call to real estate broker, he's of the oppinion I still have 6 months or more before I'd be evicted. I just as soon have it done and out of the way, be all packed and ready to move on a moment's notice before that comes about.

I know what you mean about ebay listing stores. Had one not to far from me. Don't know why,but they closed after about 6 months.

Couldn't be a worst time for me to get sick! Posted over in home remedies forum, have an infected tooth, not sleeping, exhausted and feeling ikky. Still trying to be productive though. Emptied the attic yesterday. All that's left in there is a window fan pulling air out of that end of house. Finish up packing and sorting my bedroom and such today. Get last few items to back porch. Hope to be back down in basement by saturday and really pound out the hours displaying, cleaning and all that jazz.

Will grab a few pics of stuff saturday after working down there. So I can get a critique of my displays from folks here.

Jaxom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ment to ask.... Does anyone live in the Chicagoland area? If so, pm me! I'm not that far from Brookfield Zoo.

Thanks,

Jax

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
Jaxom said:
Ment to ask.... Does anyone live in the Chicagoland area? If so, pm me! I'm not that far from Brookfield Zoo.
Thanks, Jax
No way - you're too big for my spare room

Jaxom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks XPC! I needed a chuckle! Now if it didn't hurt so much to laugh!