Dolly had her babies!!!edit--one not doing well

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
No pics yet. one of the little trips is not doing so well--very weak. I checked two hours ago, and all seemed fine, but just now, one is really weak, can hardly keep eyes open. I can't even get her to latch onto momma to get some good milk. so I did the next best thing that i could think of. i mixed some milk replacer ( that I got for the runty one of Duchess' babes and gave her some. hopefully she pulls through. Can anyone else think of anything else i can do for her (I'm not sure it's a her, I'm guessing at this point.) she is warm enough, just weak. i sure wish i had extra colostrum. I didn try milking the momma, but couldn't get enough out. Hopefully she has enough milk fo rthe other babes.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
congratulations and hoping the little one pulls through!!!!

Sounds like you got your hands full at the moment. Guess we'll have to be patient and wait a bit for those pics :lol:

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
You can mix hot coffee, whiskey, and Karo syrup, equal amounts and use as a drench. I think I remember reading to give 2 CCs, and then another 2 in a half hour. It works similarly to Nutridrench if you haven't got any of that.

Other than that I suggest keeping her warm and dry and try to get the sucking reflux going. Keep offering some colostrum. Can you milk the ewe and get some from her?
Sorry read wrong, I guess you did try milking her,

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
thanks. where does one get karo syrup. Hubby on his way to get more nipples since my cat chewed the one we had, whil i was preoccupied trying to milk the ewe. so he can pick some up for me.