Dolly had her babies!!!edit--one not doing well

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Your cats too?!

I know they have Karo syrup in Walmart.

Its like the stuff used in snow cones. (IE corn syrup - they have flavored but it doesn't matter)

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Sorry, guess I have snow cones in my brain, I should have said its like the stuff in practically EVERYTHING! LOL. Maybe the lamb will like a fruity flavor better?

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Yes, dang cat!!! My only nipple!!!!! ( i know that sounded sick and wrong).

I found this recipe for colostrum replacer:

8 oz. baby bottle with nipple
1 tsp butter
1 tsp dark Karo syrup
Canned evaporated milk (NOT condensed milk)
Add Baby Lamb Strength Oral or Hartz liquid pet Vitamin A&D plus oral liquid Vitamin E to one daily feeding. Probios dispersible powder should also be added to one feeding unless the lamb is being given this is a paste form.

From this website: http://www.critterhaven.biz/info/articles/bummer_lamb.htm

Well, it lookslike my dd gets her wish to have a bottle lamb, if this one pulls through the next bit. Now I have to go back out to help the kiddos with the lambs. I'll keep ya posted later on tonight.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
ok, if it is just corn syrup, shuldn't that be considered bad? Would molasses be better? I have tha in the house. But I already texted hubby with the list, so we'll see what he comes home with. Of course this had to happen after the feed store closed.

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
I've only heard of corn syrup being used, but I'll see if I can find anything.

Sometimes all healthy aspects just seem to go out the window to save a little baby animal, sorry!

Edit; Last year we mixed molasses with warm water for our does after kidding; so I don't see why you couldn't use molasses for the baby instead of corn syrup.

Keep us updated!

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Okay just wondering why butter? Wouldn't it give it the runs especially with karo? The karo will give it energy, but honey is better. At least that is what I use. The vet suggested it for a puppy we had that was very sick. he said it didn't have to be digested that it absorbed into the bloodstream throught the mouth so you could give it to something that wouldn't swallow. Never did a lamb though the only lamb I ever had died within 6 hours of me getting it. My luck.