Dolly had her babies!!!edit--one not doing well

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I would assume the butter is for the high butterfat content-which is in mother's milk naturally.
Just back in from the barn, thelamb in question is now on my dd's lap here in the livingroom. She appears to be a bit stronger from the milk replacer I put into her. also while I was in here researching what to do.... ds and dd managed to get some colostrum from mom and give it to the babe.Next bottle feeding will be in about an hour. We're not out of the woods yet, bu I am hopeful.

Updates and pics will follow, I promise. as soon as we get time.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
My guess would be that the corn syrup spikes the blood sugar quickly, which must be a good thing in this instance.

Honey should not be given to human babies under a year old, but I have no idea if lambs have the same issues with it. It can harbor bacteria that a more mature digestive system can handle with ease, but not an infant's.

Maybe your ewe couldn't handle three and the weakest got kicked out? If so, the bottle should save her...here's hoping!

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Now we have two in the house. I am not sure whether mom has enough milk?!?!?! What else could it be? I was thinking the same thing about the honey.

We have them both in the kitchen . the second one wa s out there shaking, and not under the heatr lamp. I figured if she was cold and not under the heat lamp, she must be too weak to move under it, so she's in here too. Is it possible to bring her back out to mom after she warms up? Or are we destined to have two bottle babies?

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
I will just depend on whether or not the mother decides she wants them. After a while they will not smell like her and she might not accept them or let them nurse. You could very well end up with two house babies!

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I don't know, but the vet told us that it was good for anything that was weak. The pup was about 5 weeks old and it lived. I imagine that karo would probably absorb quickly too though to give an energy boost.

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The corn syrup is absorbed more quickly. You can also give it orally or rectally. It will absorb quickly either way. I have actually given it at both ends when alpaca crias are really down.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Just a quick update. We definitely have one bottle lamb. We tried to reintroduce both lambs yesterday to mom. She accepted both, but she obviously doesn 't have enough milk for all three. When I went out this morning, the one was weak and cold again,so she is permanenetly in the house iwth us. she's doing fine now. Mom was also scouring a bit, but she appears to be firming up now too. It'll be a busy next coupla days.

I promise pics will come, but I don't have time right now.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Thanks for the update.
I'm glad the mom took at least one baby back.
I wish I could find someone around here, who doesn't want their bottle baby, so I could get it :lol: