Doomsday Preppers ( National Geographic)

GOOGLE NIKOLA TESLA

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
np!! its so important to cram as much info as we can into our heads, cause one day it might be impossible to learn everything we can on the net! youtube has become extremely big business so this type of stuff gets taken down all the time. i can partially understand but still it leaves people without information. i read some of the posts and you can see that some people cant watch it because of there location, so it helps many people learn having it posted to youtube. im sure though it will be taken down, like many videos that were once very important on youtube.

good luck everyone! make sure to know all options to self sufficientcy!

the southern family team seems they will survive for sure! community is very important and having like minded people is so important! it increases the knowledge, and the defensive measures to protect your investments. they also are smart doing the farming, you need to have this technique for long term life and happiness! canned foods run out, but learning to grow and save your own seeds ensures a higher propability of survival!

:DI suggest that if you get good info for survival, share it with everyone and always make a backup on paper/print it, incase an EMP rips through our earth and burns all the electronics. :D
the more stuff saved on servers allows for more loss of important knowlege, google books is a huge example, it deteriorates the librarys and causes books to be thrown out, and if there is unprotected servers, all that human information will be lost when the cosmic storms melt the electronics and wipe out computer memory .

:/I FEEL THIS IS AN ULTIMATE PLAN BY POWERS, ELIMINATE ALL THE KNOWLEGE ON BOOKS BY PUTTING IT ON THE COMPUTER INFRASTRUCTURE, THEN BURN OUT THE COMPUTERS AND INSTILL NEW KNOWLEGE LOL.... they have done this before, book burnings were common practice by kings and totalitarian societies to restrict human intelligence which allows them to control uneducated people!! :/ history has repeated itself already so it could happen lol...

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I watched most of it while I had the time. I agree they all had different approaches to a difficult problem. The swimming pool family has a very good approach, but using it in heavily populated suburbia is essentially disastrous if that really happened (cosmic discharge or whatever they called it)

The group in South Carolina definitely has a good approach but again, the "expert" told them they are too "out in the open" and no matter how much "combat multiplier" you prepare, you still need folks on watch 24/7/365 who can fight harder than the Zombies who would come in droves if they found out they are there. Of course now that National Geographic has advertised them, they are prime targets. Folks will look for that "turnkey" operation so they can "eliminate the resistance" and walk right in. No thanks. Not a good idea. Their supply list was amazing and well designed. But then they have quite a number of mouths to feed. That's good because they all work.

The folks in the buried bunker certainly had a good set up but way far away and might be tough to get there. NOT a shelter in place situation so it is only good if he can get them all there. If he can't find them or can't get them there is he going to leave them behind and go alone? It sounded like he might just do that. He'll survive but be miserable emotionally thinking about what he "could have done".

If the pool garden was out in the wild near the underground bunker and no one knew where it is, that would be great. The folks in SC had a nice self-sufficient farm and the one guy who is an engineer is a valuable resource. He can MAKE THINGS. The soldier is handy but the engineer is valuable.

Since no one "knows the time or place" it is just a good idea to be as self-sufficient as possible so that any serious change in social construct or economic disaster will make a minimum of inconvenience for you. G*d only knows who will "survive" and who won't. HE instructs us to do what is HIS WILL and we follow that lead. Until then, we keep doing what we are led to do so that in the event of a problem, we can take care of our own and help some others. The end result will be that conference with HIM on how we used the "talents" that HE gave us.

Not a sermon, just a thought.
YMMV
//BT//
Trim sends

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
We watched it and found it very interesting. It was als nice to see that the people weren't treated like whackos or some sort of bizare extremists.
It also brought the point home to SO that we need our own potable water storage. And he told his son, that: "see FD isn't the only one thinking like this" :p :lol:
I am by no means as extreme as these people on the show are, but I do like to be somewhat prepared, even just for our own personal disaster. Which is mostly financial :rolleyes:

Neko-chan

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Just to make it easy, I've put all four of the links here. I can't remember if we have a personal links archive:

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMPepJpadbo
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmOCslkYT58
Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20fjEKnjDxU
Part 4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4ACG3-gEd4&NR=1

I thought the family with the aquaponic greenhouse had a brilliant plan, but I'm not sure that I'd be able to eat fish every day. XD

This has done a lot to get me thinking very hard about we should be doing as well.

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks for posting the links, Neko-Chan! Doc and I just finished watching them and realized just how far we have to go in case of any major disaster but that by making our move out here, we've gotten a bit closer.

Dawn

animalfarm

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Aside from the obvious location problems and the fact they have all advertised to the world who and where they are; that fancy farm house screams money, regardless of how hidden the TSHTF supplies are. I hope that house is a decoy. The neighbours know that house and those faces and neighbours gossip. Does that lady truly believe the neighbour hood is not watching the big truck unload? Its probably posted on Face book complete with pictures. HMMMMM there is some one out there with $7000.00 worth of food. They steal semi -trucks full of cabbage, why not stop at his house. He shows all his friends everything he has.

The welder (or others) working on the bunker is going to get there first and he has the skill to get in and the fellow that built it will be $h!t out of luck if he manages to show up there during a nuk'em situation. Wanna bet he's locked out? There is a reason the Pharaohs killed off the tomb builders. Too many variables against survival already to throw it all away for bragging rights. Loose lips sink ships.

That pool would be great in the right place; perhaps down in that bunker on my back 40 and.... they will have to get a rooster as the hens will eventually die even if all else goes well.

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
I watched it and really enjoyed it. It got me (and my kids) really thinking about a lot of things! Like do we have enough seed and enough breeding stock if we had to suddenly start providing ALL of our own food? What of our neighbors? If they do not have enough food they will be after mine not protecting me and mine!
We certainly do not have enough food on hand to last any real long length of time.

My newest hobby now is seed saving!

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
PamsPride said:
<snip> My newest hobby now is seed saving!
Oh, don't let the government find out. They'll try to tax it or take it away from you.

hillfarm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks for the links. Yall are such a good resource.

GOOGLE NIKOLA TESLA

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
PamsPride said:
I watched it and really enjoyed it. It got me (and my kids) really thinking about a lot of things! Like do we have enough seed and enough breeding stock if we had to suddenly start providing ALL of our own food? What of our neighbors? If they do not have enough food they will be after mine not protecting me and mine!
We certainly do not have enough food on hand to last any real long length of time.

My newest hobby now is seed saving!
nice thats soo good to hearabout the seed saving! you can complete the cycle and keep things going forever!!!
seeds in a depression seem a better bargaining chip than gold in the right places, seeds seem like they will be the new gold when people are starving.