Doomsday Preppers ( National Geographic)

Damummis

Microfarmer
Reaction score
I so read the title of the thread wrong. I thought it said doomsday peppers. I actually thought, "I wonder how hot they are."
I feel like Gilda Radner, "Never mind."

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Boogity said:
What's all this talk about 12/21/12? I must have missed it. Maybe I'm lucky. It seems that some crackpot comes up with a new doomsday every few months. What now?
That was the last day on the Mayan Calendar. O well, I guess they just got tired of carving on those wheels. :bow
//BT//
Trim sends

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Damummis said:
I so read the title of the thread wrong. I thought it said doomsday peppers. I actually thought, "I wonder how hot they are."
:gig I did too!! Glad it wasn't just me.....

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Icu4dzs said:
Boogity said:
What's all this talk about 12/21/12? I must have missed it. Maybe I'm lucky. It seems that some crackpot comes up with a new doomsday every few months. What now?
That was the last day on the Mayan Calendar. O well, I guess they just got tired of carving on those wheels. :bow
//BT//
Trim sends
I thought that came and went already. Duh!

THEFAN

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Could someone make me a copy of this?? I don't have tv and only dial-up. :( I will gladly pay shipping and small fee for the dvd and time. LMK Thanks Don :hide

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Boogity said:
I agree with BB and FC. Back in 1992 my wife found a little quaint woodburning stove shop for sale. The price was unbelievably cheap and she bought it. I always helped out on weekends at first and then started helping much more as the business grew.
Anyway, as Y2K approached our business grew by leaps and bounds. I was very amused by some of the customers she had. In the 6 to 8 months leading up to the new year her business quadrupled. We had absolutely crazy people storming into the store in a panic. Some were so shook up that they began stuttering when they started shouting and telling everyone in ear-shot about what we all ABSOLUTELY HAD to do to prep. We added two additional installation crews and worked 6 days a week with many 12 hr. days. We met a young couple with two adorable little children. They both were IT technicians at a very big financial company in Cincinnati. About 6 months before the new year she quit her job and they purchased an old homestead out in the country. They had us install two new Vermont Castings wood stoves in this old dilapidated house. She began homeschooling and purchasing cows, pigs, goats, and rabbits. I think they bought three or four of each. Now all of this is fine and highly recommended by the likes of us here at SS but they tried to do it all in 6 months and it was obvious that neither one of them had ever been near any animals or farms. I think they came from a wealthy neighborhood in Hyde Park. Both of them were in a serious panic every time I saw them and during the installation she was in tears worrying about what was going to happen to the kids during the first few months of 2000. The guy took me out to one of their barns and showed me 70 fifty-five gal. drums that they were filling with water. They had I don't know how many shiny new galvanized garbage cans full of grains, beans, salt, sugar, tea, coffee, everything imaginable. Again this was wise preparation but they were not thinking clearly and everything I saw them do was in a panic. I actually felt sorry for them - especially by February 2000.
I had people asking me what kind of preparations I was making for this. I always have bottled water in the house, as well as food that can be easily made, so I made no preparation-other than what was normal. I seriously didn't understand why so many people were panicking.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Henrietta23 said:
Damummis said:
:gig I did too!! Glad it wasn't just me.....
Me too! :p

hiker

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Well, I watched the Nat Geo Show and I couldn't believe that anyone as serious about prepping as these folks were would be on TV! The last thing in the world that I want to do is to advertise what I have!

Do the Pheonix folks think that a few handguns will keep the screaming masses from taking all their stuff? No such luck. Your best bet is to get out of dodge when you can and lay low.

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
hiker said:
Well, I watched the Nat Geo Show and I couldn't believe that anyone as serious about prepping as these folks were would be on TV! The last thing in the world that I want to do is to advertise what I have!

Do the Pheonix folks think that a few handguns will keep the screaming masses from taking all their stuff? No such luck. Your best bet is to get out of dodge when you can and lay low.
All of the people that were featured are pretty much famous in the prepping internet world of blogging and youtube. I am sure desire to encourage others to prep have outweighed the potential risks in their minds.

GOOGLE NIKOLA TESLA

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
PamsPride said:
hiker said:

All of the people that were featured are pretty much famous in the prepping internet world of blogging and youtube. I am sure desire to encourage others to prep have outweighed the potential risks in their minds.
THATS TRUE! its good, it wakes up some more sheep, who sit there all day and never do anything, never prepare and never think for themselves . there are more sheep than there are people out there lol, the more sheep that become people the better lol.
then everyones dealing with alot less zombies lol.:lol:

gonna hit the debt ceiling again, economic collapse becomes real again lol..... the fed stops pumping the economy with paper, uhh ohh! hope everyones preparing!! :cool:

Latest posts