Doomsday Preppers ( National Geographic)

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I watched a show last night on the 2012 thing (still not sure what is supposed to happen), but the couple in AZ with the pool were on that show also. This was filmed before the Nat Geo show because all they had done was drain the pool, put a cover over it, and they had a few plants growing inside.

The guy runs a 2012 supply website. They asked him what he was going to do if nothing happened on 12/21/12... he said he would keep his website going but gear it towards the next big "thing" - supposedly a comet is coming real close to Earth, in 2042 I think he said. Good grief.

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
JRmom said:
I watched a show last night on the 2012 thing (still not sure what is supposed to happen), but the couple in AZ with the pool were on that show also. This was filmed before the Nat Geo show because all they had done was drain the pool, put a cover over it, and they had a few plants growing inside.

The guy runs a 2012 supply website. They asked him what he was going to do if nothing happened on 12/21/12... he said he would keep his website going but gear it towards the next big "thing" - supposedly a comet is coming real close to Earth, in 2042 I think he said. Good grief.
The guy with the pool won't survive the first week now that every one in the country knows what he is doing. The "experts" told him to plan to include his neighbors in the hopes of keeping them from killing him and stealing all his stuff.

FWIW, I'd say that my gut feeling is that absolutely nothing is going to happen to the earth from an off-earth point of view in 2012. So for my money, I'd bet on doing everything we normally do, i.e. garden, tend our stock, go to church, raise our children and just be able to do "without" in the event that some "on-earth" problem occurs. Folks are at an all time "end of their wits" with all the "gloom/doom/the sky is falling" mentality probably because they have no idea what they would do in the event of a major economic catastrophe. We, SS'ers will just go on as we always do and the only difference will be adding security watches from the Zombies. Other than that, I really don't worry about it. Being prepared and living our way eliminates the panic others feel. At least it does for me.
YMMV
//BT//
Trim sends

GOOGLE NIKOLA TESLA

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
wow found this baby! when oil gets too much in the winter time,maybe this could be an alternative method of heating.for the time it takes to heat it might work to be very cheap electric heating, not sure though. i have heard some people encase a copper wheel in oil and the oil is circulated through tubes and then hot air is made from that. just broadening the horizon on self sufficientcy, the usefulness of eddys currents. brings up many ideas!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzmHGmAqMJc&feature=channel_video_title

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I think alot of people miss living a truly great life because of their 'doomsday' preps. it consumes them.

edited to say --tho I think it is fascinating to watch them go crazy making their plans...I like to see how fanatic some become. interesting

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
I think alot of people miss living a truly great life because of their 'doomsday' preps. it consumes them.

edited to say --tho I think it is fascinating to watch them go crazy making their plans...I like to see how fanatic some become. interesting
I agree. It is much more sensible to garden, have the few needed animals, and keep a years supply of foods rotating.
This will keep a family in good stead in case of job loss, death in the family, etc.
No need to do gas mask drills, extreme gun training, etc.

Done correctly, you live life to the fullest, and save money along the way. And remain far healthier then the average consumer.

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I agree with BB and FC. Back in 1992 my wife found a little quaint woodburning stove shop for sale. The price was unbelievably cheap and she bought it. I always helped out on weekends at first and then started helping much more as the business grew.
Anyway, as Y2K approached our business grew by leaps and bounds. I was very amused by some of the customers she had. In the 6 to 8 months leading up to the new year her business quadrupled. We had absolutely crazy people storming into the store in a panic. Some were so shook up that they began stuttering when they started shouting and telling everyone in ear-shot about what we all ABSOLUTELY HAD to do to prep. We added two additional installation crews and worked 6 days a week with many 12 hr. days. We met a young couple with two adorable little children. They both were IT technicians at a very big financial company in Cincinnati. About 6 months before the new year she quit her job and they purchased an old homestead out in the country. They had us install two new Vermont Castings wood stoves in this old dilapidated house. She began homeschooling and purchasing cows, pigs, goats, and rabbits. I think they bought three or four of each. Now all of this is fine and highly recommended by the likes of us here at SS but they tried to do it all in 6 months and it was obvious that neither one of them had ever been near any animals or farms. I think they came from a wealthy neighborhood in Hyde Park. Both of them were in a serious panic every time I saw them and during the installation she was in tears worrying about what was going to happen to the kids during the first few months of 2000. The guy took me out to one of their barns and showed me 70 fifty-five gal. drums that they were filling with water. They had I don't know how many shiny new galvanized garbage cans full of grains, beans, salt, sugar, tea, coffee, everything imaginable. Again this was wise preparation but they were not thinking clearly and everything I saw them do was in a panic. I actually felt sorry for them - especially by February 2000.

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well, I just really really hope nothing bad happens on 12/21/12... that's my daughter's birthday so that would really suck. :D

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
What's all this talk about 12/21/12? I must have missed it. Maybe I'm lucky. It seems that some crackpot comes up with a new doomsday every few months. What now?