Dr. said son needs to gain weight....suggestions?

Jen-pi

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
If you are going to eat raw eggs, they need to come from chickens that free range and get plenty of sun and exercise with a varied carniverous diet.
A chicken that is confined and is fed only vegetarian grain foods, will give an egg that is deficient in all aspects, and has a higher risk for being contaminated with the wrong bacteria
I keep my own chickens, but they are afraid of the "white death" (snow) in the winter. They get Layena, table scraps, scratch and BOSS.

Do you think it would be OK to eat my girl's eggs raw?

Maybe I should eat a few raw first and see if I get sick.

I would rather be sick than my son any day.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Jen-pi said:
If you are going to eat raw eggs, they need to come from chickens that free range and get plenty of sun and exercise with a varied carniverous diet.
A chicken that is confined and is fed only vegetarian grain foods, will give an egg that is deficient in all aspects, and has a higher risk for being contaminated with the wrong bacteria
I keep my own chickens, but they are afraid of the "white death" (snow) in the winter. They get Layena, table scraps, scratch and BOSS.

Do you think it would be OK to eat my girl's eggs raw?

Maybe I should eat a few raw first and see if I get sick.

I would rather be sick than my son any day.
I should have mentioned that home grown are generally just fine for consumption.
THey are not living in cages.
We live in an area with extreme winters, so even when ours are out in winter, there is nothing for them to forage.
But we do give them scraps is the variety that is needed in winter ;)
Not something Big Ag is able to do!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
eating raw eggs is just like anything else

you get sick from contamination....and if it happens, it happens, if not, you can eat raw eggs forever and never be sick a day in your life.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I have eaten raw duck eggs from my little flock with no issue. The more natural sunlight your critters get, the less chance of infection.

Now one thing about raw eggs...biotin deficiency. Not a big deal if you are eating the whole egg, but just egg whites can lead to biotin deficiencies.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
but do tell us how he eats thru the day??

Jen-pi

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well, in the mornings for breakfast he usually has one of these three things:
Milk and cereal (I could use raw milk) (I buy whole milk now)
Pancakes with Grandpa's maple syrup and a glass of milk (again, raw milk)
Breakfast burrito made with pork sausage and eggs and hot sauce

Snack at school:
Homemade grape juice & some sort of snack (popcorn, friut, graham crackers)

Lunch:
School lunch

Dinner:
Whatever I make and a glass of milk

He LOVES red meat. He loves steak with the "juice" (blood) (yes, he likes it rare to medium rare) My budget just doesnt have room for steak every night. He likes most vegetables, doesnt really care for potatoes any way besides mashed WITH GRAVY. Not a big fan of cheese, except in grilled cheese sandwiches and on pizza.

Thank you all for your input...keep it comin!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
His breakfast is a LOT of sugar. Carbs = sugar no matter what form they come in. Even those whole grain cereals are just sugar in disguise.

Pancakes are also just sugar.

The kid needs protein and good fats to start the day.

The school snack is also just sugar.

The healthiest things you mentioned were the breakfast burrito and the steak.

Jen-pi

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wife:
Maybe we can substitute the pancakes with homemade whole wheat bread french toast and soak up a whole egg with one slice of bread.

What would you suggest for a snack for school? Maybe nuts?

CJW

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I would suggest a gluten free diet.

I have a cousin who is celiac and she weighed 95 lbs at 5'5". After she went gluten free, she gained 15 lbs within 3 months, and has been gaining about a half of a pound each month since. She is hoping to be back at a healthy weight (about 135) soon.

If his body is sensitive to gluten, he might not be absorbing all of the yummy food you are feeding him, and that was suggested on here.

Good Luck!

(I was a little over my healthy weight when I went gluten free, and I lost weight. My body didn't need to store all of the excess because it was absorbing more nutrients.)

CJW

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Also-you would have to pack his lunch if he went gluten free, since the risk of contamination is too high.