Dr. said son needs to gain weight....suggestions?

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Jen-pi

I have had you and your son on my mind today. I just wanted to add that if you are keeping monthly records of

his weight and he really doesn't gain much or anything at all over 4-6 months you may need to consider other

diet options. If a person has an issue with gluten it damages the villi that is in the small intestine where food

absorption takes place. It can make a person malnourished even if you eat a good diet. It could also prevent a

child from growing to their full potential. Also dairy (especially milk) can coat the villi and prevent good

absorption. Hard cheese and butter is better. I have my children eat their food in a certain order for better

absorption. What you eat first in a meal will be better absorbed than what is eaten last. First we eat

vegetables, then protein, then carbohydrate and fruit is dessert.

raiquee

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Well, just give him lots of soda and Mcdonald's and he should fatten up just fine! :lol:

After all, that's what those charts are based off of. Averages. Obesity in America? The AVERAGE. Sadly, children are following suite.

My son is 2 1/2 and he weights about 24 lbs. The dr always says he needs to gain weight and I just shrug my shoulders and say "He's eating everything we are eating, not much else I can do!" I take it with a grain of salt. My kid runs around like a crazed mad men, and I know what I feed him is healthy. Does he get Mcd's french fries once in awhile? Sure, as a treat. Doesn't mean hes going to be obese.

My DH's best friends come over and they have a son the same age as DS and he weighs like...45 lbs. They brag about how huge he is and everytime I have to bite my tongue so I don't say "And WHY are you so happy you have an obese 2 year old?!"

I can also attest that fast food won't really make your son fatter if hes naturally skinny. It will make his heart and body hurt, sure. I was giving fast food, for breakfast lunch and dinner from my father from age 14 until I turned 18 and got the heck outta there!! I am amazed I survived. I still do eat fast food due to time restraints between class, but I cook good meals at home. I weight 103 (sopping weight) and i'm 5'7".

My fast-food-father (as I lovingly call him :lol: ) Now has super high triglycerides in his mid-50's. So now, I am teaching him ways to eat properly to help reduce that. He also has some gastro issues he needs to work on.

Jen-pi

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Raiquee-
Yeah, there is NO WAY Im going to feed him McDonalds to gain weight! I see that type of behavior enough in this day and age! Im glad you survived your Dad's meal plan! LOL

Im just doing kind of a mixture of what everyone said on here.

Tonight he had venison/vegetable soup, leftover Christmas ham and a fruit smoothie. Im happy with that. I will track his weight for the next month and see how we are doing.

I do not have a clue about fermenting or sprouting things, so I doubt he will be eating anything like that. (Except for saurkraut)

I am thankful he is as perfect as he is. He has a wonderful mind and heart. :love Im still as in love with him as I was the day he was born.

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Jen, fermenting is super easy!! There is a great thread on here started by Freemotion.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I don't find that 65 lbs is a bad weight for a 10 yr. old, no matter his height. Some kids just start out skinny. If he is getting a healthy diet and is an active and alert kid, and it sounds like he is, then I would just keep on keepin' on.

Doctors don't know everything...actually, over my years as a nurse, I have found that they know very little when it comes to nutrition.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Doctors don't know everything...actually, over my years as a nurse, I have found that they know very little when it comes to nutrition.
How true! My doc once told me I knew more about nutrition than she. Not a head bloating statement here, just showing how her time is spent researching other things.

Kids are so different! My daughter, as mentioned, is a 50-lb 8 1/2 year old. I just weighed them both today :) My son is a 95-lb nearly 11 year old. He used to be a twig, too, until he got to school. And both only get school lunch once per week. Sigh.

I would be way more concerned about overweight than underweight, unless you're talking about a very severe problem or an unhealthy child, and it doesn't sound like that's the case. I, too, wonder about the weight charts. Both kids were at about 5th percentile their first 1-2 years, but I believe at that time the charts were based off mainly formula-fed kids.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
yep, both my babies were breast fed and I find they gain weight more evenly than other kids....case in point, my friend's two kids are here today and her 4 yr old weighs as much, if not more than, my soon to be 6 yr old.

I'm trying to cut out fast food completely but it is hard when you are out on the road travelling and it is sometimes your only option. I always keep healthy snacks in the car but now with my being GF it is even harder to eat out.

I think we, as a nation, have just gotten lazy about our food....and a lot of other things too, but I digress.

I find it appalling that portion sizes have gotten so huge while prices have gone down at fast food restaurants. My brother commented that a friend of his had a Japanese friend that visited him and he couldn't believe the size of soda cans and bottles in this country. In Japan, at least where he was from, sodas are in the little "trial" sizes like you see in hospital food trays. He said he couldn't even come close to finishing one yet kids will suck them down like water in this country.

One of the reasons why I like this forum so much is that a lot of people on here are knowledgeable about nutrition.....it has helped me out a lot!

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I have to admit to having bought a 64-oz soda while traveling over Christmas. That sucker was enormous! They have special straws to fit the glass, and as an adult I needed to 2-hand that thing. I was actually embarrassed to be buying it :p

The scoop is that the entire family had something GI going on, we were queasy, and all 4 of us shared the Sprite.

I cannot imagine 1 person in regular circumstances actually drinking 64 oz of soda!!

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
i saw a show on addictions.....this girl was drinking 4 CASES of soda PER DAY. I don't know how she had any teeth left....the kicker is...she's a nurse. :th

Jen-pi

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
WOW! Four cases a day is crazy!

I have a friend who is a nurse and she does A LOT of things that arent good for her. Legal and illegal.