Dragonlaurel's journal- Community Garden

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
I would ask the person that gave me the okay to work on the weeding. Went to the top of the chain to start with- and it worked, so I would do it again. :)

dragonlaurel

Reaction score
Hope everybody had a happy Thanksgiving. We had a quiet day and I just made what I wanted to eat. No stress and healthier than lots of the spreads I've seen.
Made 6 dishes plus some pumpkin cookies that were good. I realized I hadn't bought the pie crust and didn't want to bother so I looked on the Libby website and the cookies seemed like the solution.
My hubby ate about 6 of them so I guess they passed the test. :plbb Should I tell him I tweaked the recipe so they would be lower fat and higher fiber? Naaaaaaaaaaahhh.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
we are NUTS for pumpkin cookies!!!! there is just something pumpkin-licious about them... great job!

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Pumpkin cookies sound great...I have a few pie pumpkins cooked down and put up in the freezer....cookies sound like a good option. How did you bump up the fiber?

dragonlaurel

Reaction score
If somebody wants the recipe, here's the link :

http://www.verybestbaking.com/recipes/detail.aspx?id=32364

The recipe calls for 2 1/2 cups of flour, so I used 1 1/2 cups of whole wheat and 1 cup of white flour. They came out good so I don't think the white flour was important. Next time I'll go totally whole wheat.
I used oil in place of 1/2 the butter, cause we were low on butter and I was Not going to the store. My DH is very much a "follow the recipe" person. He would break out in a cold sweat if he realized how much I adapt or just Ignore about recipes.
I skipped the glaze. I don't normally bake or buy sweets so hubby was happy that I did something desserty.

The rest of the meal was:
sweet potatoes with a bit of cinnamon and honey, asparagus, garlic mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce. pickled beets, and stuffing ( freezer bread- stale combined with Pepperidge farm stuffing mix.

I'm vegetarian and Hubby doesn't like turkey so he made chicken salad to go with his stuff.

edited to make sense.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Glad you had a wonderful Thanksgiving day, Dragon! Hey, when you going to ask Ann for a title? It's time....... ;) You are more than just a member! :D

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Some folks just think of the thing that sort of defines them, then uses that thing. Some folks get titles pinned on them...... :lol: Ask BBH! :gig

dragonlaurel

Reaction score
I met somebody recently that has a mini farm. Since I don't have land, and am feeling pretty impatient, I'm wondering about having them keep a doe for me or maybe do a goat share. I wouldn't be able to go there daily so they would have most of the milk.

I'm just kicking this idea around still. I've been to the farm once and loved it. Their animals were in good condition, content and obviously liked people. The place was well kept and the animals had plenty of room. The people are likely to become good friends.

They have a Boer wether and used to have 2 milk does. They are raising a Boer for meat but also have a cow or steer (I didn't see it's underside), a horse and a bunch of chickens. The horse is best buddies with their goat.

What else would I need to take into consideration? I remember that goats want company. Neighborhood dogs got the 2 does they used to have, so I would need to know if the fencing/security was good enough.
It might be too soon for me to worry about livestock, but it would nice to start making cheeses with my own milk.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
That is a great idea...of course little ol' suburbia me, I have no idea what to look for or ask. I just know that it sounds like a great way to get your animals and create some nice friendships!